Monument record MYO4649 - YORK CITY WALL between Tower 13 and 14 (Chainage 800-900)
No summary available.
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5966 5158 (36m by 81m)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
The wall is approximately 2.16m thick and 12m in height and is constructed in coursed
limestone ashlar facings. Cores taken in 2003 indicate that the facing is backed with brickwork
or gritstone.The stonework to the bottom half of the wall are larger ashlar with fine joints. The
stonework to the top half comprises smaller stones in coursed random rubble. There are two
large openings in the wall comprising gothic arches of 20m span and 5.2m rise. The archways
span from chainages 831 - 851 and 878 - 898. The sections of wall over the arches are
hollow and contain strengthening steelwork installed in 2005. There is a
pedestrian opening through the wall at chainage 865. There are four stone buttresses on the
outside face of the wall located either side of each opening. The base of each buttress
incorporates a false opening (Mouchel inspection report 2017).
YAT, 2004, York City Walls Chainage 822-906 (Unpublished document). SYO537.
2017, Inspection Report Chainage 825-925 (Unpublished document). SYO2447.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463065: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN AND CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER AND MICKLEGATE BAR AND VICTORIA BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Part of: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Related to: Micklegate Bar (York City Walls) (Monument) (MYO2196)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (TOFTS TOWER) Tower 13 (Monument) (MYO4233)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (TOWER 14) (Monument) (MYO4650)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS RAMPART (Tower 14-17) (Monument) (MYO4660)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 9:10AM