Monument record MYO1714 - YORK CITY WALLS (TOWER PLACE TO DAVY TOWER)
No summary available.
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6039 5140 (49m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Defensive wall attached to No.9 Tower Place (qv), extending approximately 60 metres north-east, now forming southern boundary to Tower Place. Probably late C13. Magnesian limestone ashlar. Approximately 2 to 3 metres high with embattled parapet. Cruciform arrow slit towards No.9 (Davy Tower), and head of weathered buttress adjacent to No.2 Tower Place (qv). On inner side of wall a narrow length of original wallwalk survives behind the parapet. Wall ran originally from Davy Tower on the river bank to Castlegate Postern, demolished in 1826. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 158).
Listing NGR: SE6040351412
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
City of York Council, 1991, 1991 City Walls Structural Survey (Unpublished document). SYO2265.
YAT, 1998, York City Walls, 3416-3479 (Unpublished document). SYO357.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463063: CITY WALLS ATTACHED TO TOWER PLACE
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (9)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (BOOTHAM BAR TO MONK BAR) (Monument) (MYO1733)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (DAVY TOWER) (Monument) (MYO717)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (LENDAL HILL HOUSE TO THE LODGE, MUSEUM GARDENS) (Monument) (MYO1731)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (MONK BAR TO LAYERTHORPE) (Monument) (MYO2008)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (MULTANGULAR TOWER AND WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST) (Building) (MYO1075)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (MULTANGULAR TOWER TO REAR OF 8 STLEONARD'S) (Monument) (MYO1732)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (Red Tower to Fishergate Postern Tower) (Monument) (MYO1734)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 4 2019 1:53PM