Monument record MYO1731 - YORK CITY WALLS (LENDAL HILL HOUSE TO THE LODGE, MUSEUM GARDENS)
No summary available.
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6000 5199 (24m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Defensive wall approximately 45 metres long from Lendal Hill House, Museum Street (qv) to The Lodge, Museum Gardens (qv). 1250-70, partly rebuilt 1874. Magnesian limestone ashlar. Embattled wall from approximately 2 metres to 4 metres high, stepped up slope of rampart. Four buttresses with offsets on inner side and wallwalk approximately 1 metre wide. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 110).
Listing NGR: SE6001452008
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
City of York Council, 1991, 1991 City Walls Structural Survey (Unpublished document). SYO2265.
- --- SYO2265 Unpublished document: City of York Council. 1991. 1991 City Walls Structural Survey.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463050: CITY WALL FROM LENDALL HILL HOUSE TO THE LODGE, MUSEUM GARDENS
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Parent of: YORK CITY WALLS RAMPART (Lendal Tower to Lodge) (Monument) (MYO4662)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (BOOTHAM BAR TO MONK BAR) (Monument) (MYO1733)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (LENDAL TOWER) (Building) (MYO1062)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (MONK BAR TO LAYERTHORPE) (Monument) (MYO2008)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (MULTANGULAR TOWER AND WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST) (Building) (MYO1075)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (MULTANGULAR TOWER TO REAR OF 8 STLEONARD'S) (Monument) (MYO1732)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (Red Tower to Fishergate Postern Tower) (Monument) (MYO1734)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (TOWER PLACE TO DAVY TOWER) (Monument) (MYO1714)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 4 2019 1:53PM