Building record MYO897 - Warden's house to Lady Hewley's almshouses
|Grid reference||SE 6061 5191 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Includes: Lady Hewley's Almshouses No.1 ST SAVIOURGATE. Warden's house to almshouses; attached gates, gate piers and railings forming entrance and south-western boundary to gardens surrounding the almshouses (qv). 1840, with C20 extension. By JB Pritchett for the Trustees of Lady Hewley's Charity. House of tooled ashlar on ashlar plinth; slate roof with moulded stone coping and shaped kneelers. Cast-iron gates and railings; stone gate piers.
EXTERIOR: house front 2 storeys, 3 bays, centre bay gabled; 1-storey extension to right. Centre bay has board double doors and 2-light window with pointed 6- on 4-pane hung sashes on first floor, both in openings with 4-centred heads. Windows on both floors of flanking bays are mullioned and square-headed with paired 8-pane sashes, those on ground floor taller. All openings are double chamfered and have coved hoodmoulds. Chamfered eaves course. Left return to St Saviourgate: 2-storey gable wall. Ground floor window as on main front. First floor opening blocked by reset tablet recording original foundation of Lady Hewley's Hospital in Tanner Row in 1700. Below is inscribed stone recording rebuilding of the Hospital in 1840.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gate piers approximately 1.5 metres high, with domed heads, flank double gates of square section railings with Tudor flower finials. Railings of similar design raised on low wall with chamfered coping.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 96). Listing NGR: SE6061251914
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Lady Hewley's Hospital, St. Saviourgate, comprising Warden's House and a separate range of nine dwellings and chapel, was built in 1840 to the design of J. P. Pritchett, to replace a hospital founded in 1700 by Sarah, widow of Sir John Hewley, in Tanner Row. The two-storey buildings, with ashlar walls and slated roofs, are in a Tudor style. In the end of the Warden's House is a reset carved tablet with lozenge-of-arms of Hewley impaling Woolrych and inscription recording the original foundation
Monument 41; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 96
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060257 LADY HEWLEY'S ALMSHOUSES, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2020 5:21PM