SE6051NE ST SAVIOURGATE 1112-1/17/983 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.14 (Formerly Listed as: ST SAVIOURGATE No.14 and Lady Hewley's Almshouses (Nos.1-11 consec & No.8A))
Includes: Lady Hewley's Almshouses No.1 ST SAVIOURGATE. Warden's house to almshouses; attached gates, gate piers and railings forming entrance and south-western boundary to gardens surrounding the almshouses (qv). 1840, with C20 extension. By JB Pritchett for the Trustees of Lady Hewley's Charity. House of tooled ashlar on ashlar plinth; slate roof with moulded stone coping and shaped kneelers. Cast-iron gates and railings; stone gate piers. EXTERIOR: house front 2 storeys, 3 bays, centre bay gabled; 1-storey extension to right. Centre bay has board double doors and 2-light window with pointed 6- on 4-pane hung sashes on first floor, both in openings with 4-centred heads. Windows on both floors of flanking bays are mullioned and square-headed with paired 8-pane sashes, those on ground floor taller. All openings are double chamfered and have coved hoodmoulds. Chamfered eaves course. Left return to St Saviourgate: 2-storey gable wall. Ground floor window as on main front. First floor opening blocked by reset tablet recording original foundation of Lady Hewley's Hospital in Tanner Row in 1700. Below is inscribed stone recording rebuilding of the Hospital in 1840. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gate piers approximately 1.5 metres high, with domed heads, flank double gates of square section railings with Tudor flower finials. Railings of similar design raised on low wall with chamfered coping. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 96).
Listing NGR: SE6061251914
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.