Building record MYO738 - 77-79 The Mount
|Grid reference||SE 5954 5119 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Two houses, now hotel. 1831/32 and designed by Peter Atkinson for Alderman William Dunsley. Brick with painted stone dressings and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus an attic storey and cellars. The facade to The Mount is of 3 bays and has a painted stone plinth, a cornice below the 2 attic windows, and a gutter cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes with painted lintels. The central window on the ground floor is a restoration: an RCHM photograph shows a doorway in this position. Chimney to right. Adjoining to the right is a second former house, also part of the hotel. It is lower, of 3 storeys and 2 bays. The ground floor has C20 polished stone cladding and a glazed entrance. The upper storeys have glazing bar sashes with painted rusticated lintels with a leaf pattern on their keystones. Further C20 additions to the right. The left-hand return wall of No.77, facing Park Street, is similar in detail to the 3 bays facing The Mount. It is of 4 bays, plus a right-hand bay which is blank except for a ground-floor window. The windows are glazing bar sashes, except for the 2 left-hand attic windows which are centre-pivoted. The 4th window on the 2nd floor is a blind glazing bar sash. Only the windows to the 3rd and 4th bays, above the wide entrance, have painted stone or stucco lintels. This entrance has 2 engaged Greek Doric columns in antis with fluted necking, a plain frieze and cornice, and flanking lights. The glazed door is C20. Adjoining to the left is a 3-bay C20 extension in a similar style.
INTERIOR: not inspected: RCHM record Italian marble fireplace for the drawing room; black Kendal marble fireplace for the dining room. No.79 is included in the list for the first time.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).
Listing NGR: SE5954551194
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No 77-79 The Mount, formerly Park Place, 1831/2. 3 bays (front) + 5 bays (Side) x 3 storeys. Designed by Peter Atkinson II for Alderman William Dunsley: signed detail of November 1831 ub Brierley drawings. Mt Bayliff of Kendall made chimney pieces for it in 1832 including one of Kendal marble for the drawing room.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060891 THE ABBEY PARK HOTEL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 11:33AM