Listed Building: ABBEY PARK HOTEL (464887)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II
LBSUID 464887
Date assigned Monday, June 14, 1954
Date last amended

Description

YORK SE5951SE THE MOUNT 1112-1/20/1074 (South East side) 14/06/54 Nos.77 AND 79 Abbey Park Hotel (Formerly Listed as: THE MOUNT No.77 Abbey Park Hotel) GV II Two houses, now hotel. 1831/32 and designed by Peter Atkinson for Alderman William Dunsley. Brick with painted stone dressings and slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus an attic storey and cellars. The facade to The Mount is of 3 bays and has a painted stone plinth, a cornice below the 2 attic windows, and a gutter cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes with painted lintels. The central window on the ground floor is a restoration: an RCHM photograph shows a doorway in this position. Chimney to right. Adjoining to the right is a second former house, also part of the hotel. It is lower, of 3 storeys and 2 bays. The ground floor has C20 polished stone cladding and a glazed entrance. The upper storeys have glazing bar sashes with painted rusticated lintels with a leaf pattern on their keystones. Further C20 additions to the right. The left-hand return wall of No.77, facing Park Street, is similar in detail to the 3 bays facing The Mount. It is of 4 bays, plus a right-hand bay which is blank except for a ground-floor window. The windows are glazing bar sashes, except for the 2 left-hand attic windows which are centre-pivoted. The 4th window on the 2nd floor is a blind glazing bar sash. Only the windows to the 3rd and 4th bays, above the wide entrance, have painted stone or stucco lintels. This entrance has 2 engaged Greek Doric columns in antis with fluted necking, a plain frieze and cornice, and flanking lights. The glazed door is C20. Adjoining to the left is a 3-bay C20 extension in a similar style. INTERIOR: not inspected: RCHM record Italian marble fireplace for the drawing room; black Kendal marble fireplace for the dining room. No.79 is included in the list for the first time. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127). Listing NGR: SE5954551194

External Links (0)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SE 59545 51193 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2007 3:00PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.