Monument record MYO4841 - St Catherine's Hospital
|Grid reference||SE 5944 5113 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
The older building is prominent in all the earlier prospects of York from The Mount (Plate 2) and had itself been built in 1652 on the site of a mediaeval foundation variously described as a lazar-house and a xenodochium or place of hospitality for poor travellers (Drake, 246; Hargrove, ii, 508–10; Davies, 105). The close of land in which the old almshouse stood was acquired by Leonard and John (afterwards Sir John) Simpson, who in 1833 petitioned the Corporation to be allowed to transfer the hospital to a new site on Holgate Lane, now Holgate Road, at the rear of the property, in order that they might develop the valuable frontage.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972. Monument 25.
The hospital of St. Katherine outside Micklegate Bar. This was one of the four leper houses of York, and stood outside Micklegate Bar, near the church or chapel of St. James. In 1333 protection for two years was granted by Edward III for the leprous men of the hospital collecting alms. It housed lepers of both sexes, and as one of the charities of the city escaped suppression. In 1603, in an account of the progress of James I through York, it is recorded that the king 'took horse and passed through the cittie forth at Micklegate towards Grimstone, the house of Sir Edward Stanhope, the earle of Cumberlande and the lord-major beareing the sword and the mace before the king untill they came unto the house of St. Kathren.' In 1652 the hospital was rebuilt on the old site. This building was removed in 1835.
'Hospitals: York', in A History of the County of York: Volume 3, ed. William Page (London, 1974), pp. 336-352.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060263 ST CATHERINE'S HOSPITAL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Victoria County History ed. William Page, 1974, A History of the County of York Volume 3 (Bibliographic reference). SYO2397.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 4:44PM