Monument record MYO4757 - St Catherine's Hospital
|Grid reference||SE 5942 5121 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
NMR Related Event - RCHME 1995 Architectural survey
St. Catherine's Hospital, No. 45 Holgate Road, replaces an earlier almshouse which fronted The Mount in the centre of the site now occupied by Nos. 116–28. The close of land in which the old almshouse stood was acquired by Leonard and John (afterwards Sir John) Simpson, who in 1833 petitioned the Corporation to be allowed to transfer the hospital to a new site on Holgate Lane, now Holgate Road, at the rear of the property, in order that they might develop the valuable frontage. They had obtained designs for the new building from the architect George T. Andrews. After taking legal advice the City agreed to the proposal and the hospital was built in 1834–5; on 7 May 1835 it was stated that 'the new building... is in all respects more commodious than the Old Hospital—the inmates shall be peremptorily required to remove within fourteen days from this time' (YCA, K.82; M.17/A, B). In fact completion seems to have been delayed until 22 August 1835.The building is of a single storey, in brick with ashlar dressings in the Tudor style, with square-headed two-light mullioned windows; the roof is of Welsh slate. The centre of the almshouse is recessed at front and rear, between two side wings each containing a front and a back room.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972. Monument 25
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 4:48PM