Monument record MYO4223 - Imphal Barracks

Summary

The Infantry Barracks were constructed to the south of the Cavalry Barracks in 1877 around a central parade ground and catered for both regular and reserve battalions. The barracks were renamed Imphal Barracks in 1951 in commemoration of campaigns in Burma.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6122 5020 (693m by 447m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish Fulford, City of York, North Yorkshire
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

By 1876 a site of about 35 acres on the south side of the cavalry barracks had been acquired by the War
Department and the infantry barracks were built between 1877 and 1880. Renamed Imphal after 1951 in commemoration of campaigns in Burma, the site was developed under the new ‘Cardwell Reform’ policy of combining regular and reserve battalions on the same site. The West Yorkshire Regiment 14th Foot (renamed the Prince of Wales Own Regiment) occupied the north side and the 2nd West York Light Infantry occupied the south side, with a shared parade ground in between.

During the First and Second World Wars, practice trenches (assets MYO2214-2220) and an assault
course (MYO2224) were created within the Walmgate Stray, the remains of which exist at the site today. The remains of rifle ranges (MYO 2213) are extant to the north and in close proximity to the car park development area.

The military establishments continued to expand during the early 20th century with the appearance of the Royal Army Medical Corps on a site adjoining the hospital, and further staff accommodation: however, the dominant military presence declined in the latter part of the century with the closure of the Cavalry Barracks (to the north of Imphal barracks) and the removal of most buildings other than the front guard houses. (Mott Macdonald)

NMR Information

Summary description
Infantry barracks on Fulford Road, York, built between 1877 and 1880 on land immediately to the south of the 18th-century cavalry barracks. In 1951, the infantry barracks were renamed the Imphal Barracks; they are still used by the army.

Full description
Infantry barracks on Fulford Road, York, built between 1877 and 1880 on land immediately to the south of the 18th-century cavalry barracks (SE 65 SW 467). In 1951, the infantry barracks were renamed the Imphal Barracks; they are still used by the army. (1)

Sources
1 Field Investigators Comments English Heritage: Urban Commons project: Walmgate Stray survey


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

Mott Macdonald, 2014, Imphal Barracks Fulford Road York (Unpublished document). SYO1523.

WYAS, 2015, Imphal Barracks, Fulford (Unpublished document). SYO1798.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Unpublished document: Mott Macdonald. 2014. Imphal Barracks Fulford Road York.
  • --- Unpublished document: WYAS. 2015. Imphal Barracks, Fulford.
  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (13)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Mar 17 2020 12:45PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.