Building record MYO3920 - 35-45 Aldwark and 8-10 The Werkdyke
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6069 5202 (34m by 32m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- HOUSE (Mid C18, Early C18 to Mid C18 - 1733 AD to 1766 AD)
- WORKSHOP (Early-mid C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1970 AD)
- HOUSE (Built c.1835, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1825 AD to 1845 AD)
- GARAGE (Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1980 AD)
- HOUSE (Built c.1845, Mid C19 - 1835 AD to 1855 AD)
- WORKSHOP (Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1980 AD)
Buildings are a mixture of red-grey and orange-grey brick with clay pantile roofs. Identified as Buildings of Merit in the Historic Core Conservation Area Appraisal.
Surveyed in January 2015. Buildings are maintained by Habinteg Housing Association and are described as being in good condition.
Upper floors: all in residential use.
Historic Characterisation study
(63) Houses, Nos. 35, 37, small and of two storeys, were built as a pair c. 1835. The lower part of No. 37 has been converted to a garage.
(64) Houses, Nos. 39, 41, of three storeys, were built as a pair in the mid 18th century, but have been drastically altered in conversion to commercial use.
(65) Houses, Nos. 43, 45, small and of two storeys, were built as a pair in the second quarter of the 19th century but, with Nos. 39, 41 above, have been drastically altered.
'Houses: Aldwark-Castlegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central (London, 1981), pp. 105-115
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060357 35-37 ALDWARK, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 1:43PM