Building record MYO1063 - St Leonard's Hospital Undercroft, gate passage and chapel above (adjacent to Library Square and York Central Library)
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6004 5205 (28m by 31m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Ruined remains of chapel, infirmary and entrance passage of St Leonard's Hospital. c1240. Magnesian limestone.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 2-bay undercroft and chapel; 4x3-bay undercroft and 4-bay entrance passage beneath infirmary. Chapel front towards Library Square: 2-storey buttressed gable end on chamfered plinth. Right return has C20 battened panel door in chamfered doorway with 2-centred head and hoodmould on moulded imposts. Undercroft has splayed lancet windows on each side. Chapel gable end has triple lancet window beneath moulded hood originally on detached shafts of which moulded bases and capitals survive: windows on both returns have 2-centred heads, corbel stopped hoods and continuous sillstrings. In gable apex is cusped oculus in chevron moulded surround.
INTERIOR: not accessible. Infirmary undercroft doorway to left of chapel similar to chapel doorway. Undercroft vaulted in chamfered ribs springing from octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals or from moulded corbels. Windows at rear are rectangular with splayed surrounds on the outside, shouldered inside. Entrance passage arches at each end are semicircular: outer end to Museum Gardens is of 3 orders, the inner chamfered: right side dies into the wall, the left springs from chamfered respond with moulded impost. Inner end to Library Square is of 2 orders, both chamfered and springing from responds with moulded capitals and bases. Interior vaulted with chamfered ribs springing from moulded corbels. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 93).
Listing NGR: SE6005652059
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 464254: ST LEONARDS HOSPITAL REMAINS
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Part of: St Leonard's Hospital Precinct Area (parent record for medieval hospital) (Monument) (MYO3491)
- Related to: Museum Gardens (Monument) (MYO4560)
- Related to: St Leonard's Hospital Retaining Wall (Monument) (MYO3495)
- Related to: St Leonard's Hospital Undercroft (now Boiler Room,inside Theatre Royal) (Monument) (MYO3493)
- Related to: St Leonard's Hospital Undercroft (The Keregen Room, Theatre Royal) (Monument) (MYO3492)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2021 3:34PM