SE6051NW LOW PETERGATE 1112-1/28/606 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.87
Formerly known as: No.51 and the building at the rear LOW PETERGATE. Two shops. Various dates, remodelled as one shop in late C19; further alterations in C20 and altered C19 shopfront. All parts timber-framed; front is stuccoed with planted framing and timber modillioned cornice; rear ground floor rendered, first floor of orange-brown brick in stretcher bond, with tumbled brick gable end; pantile roof with brick stack. EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 2-window front, with jettied first and second floors. Double shopfront has paired glazed doors between plate glass windows framed in slender Corinthian colonnettes, with floral sprays in spandrels; plain fascia to first floor jetty, between grooved brackets, with shaped brackets below. First floor windows are canted bays with 4:12:4-pane sashes; on second floor, four 2x6-pane Yorkshire sashes. Rear: 2-storey gable wall with tapered headed post, braces and wall plates exposed. INTERIOR: in both shops mid C19 cooking ranges survive, one by J Hardgrave of York in plain painted stone surround on first floor in right shop; the other at rear of ground floor in left shop. Right shop has staircase balustrade of early C18 turned balusters re-used with C19 handrail and newels. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 196).
Listing NGR: SE6039052003
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.