Building record MYO948 - 28 and 30 St Andrewgate

Summary

House built circa 1740, with alterations in the 19th century and 1972. Formerly 42 St Andrewgate.

Location

Grid reference SE 6056 5205 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Formerly known as: No.42 ST ANDREWGATE. House. Mid C18, refronted and altered in mid C19; renovated 1972. Front of pink-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond on chamfered plinth; right return of orange brick in stretcher bond; painted stone eaves cornice and timber doorcase; tiled roof with brick coping, kneelers and stack.

EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay front. Central doorcase of fluted pilasters and dentil cornice on pelleted channelled consoles has door of 6 fielded panels beneath fluted impost band and radial-glazed fanlight, with festooned rosettes in spandrels. To left, plank carriage house doors, each of 6 sunk panels, beneath divided transom and long timber lintel; at far end, 4-panel door beneath tall overlight and flat arch. To right of central door, two 12-pane sash windows and on first floor, five similar windows, all with painted stone sills and flat arches of orange gauged brick. C19 boot scraper in moulded niche to right of front door. Raised brick band of 4 courses to first floor, truncated by carriage house lintel. Pulvinated eaves cornice. Right return: 1-window gable wall of 2 storeys and attic, to left of 2-storey 1-window wing. First floor of gable wall has Venetian window with radial-glazed centre sash beneath shaped arch of gauged brick. Other windows are 12-pane sashes as on front, except for inserted 2x6-pane Yorkshire sash to attic.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 202). Listing NGR: SE6057552052

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 42 , of two storeys and attic, was built c. 1740. It was extended at the back and refitted in the 19th century and, later, part of the ground floor was converted to a garage. After standing derelict, it was restored in 1972 by the architect A. M. Mennim. The front is in five bays, with good red brick dressings to the quoins and window openings, but the original windows only remain in the upper floor. The house originally comprised two rooms to each side of a central entrance hall and staircase.

Monument 387; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 202

NMR Information

BF061073 42 ST ANDREWGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 12 2020 12:50PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.