Building record MYO857 - Bonding Warehouse


A warehouse constructed in two, possibly three phases, the northern block in 1872-3 and the southern block in 1875 (Pevsner and Neave 1995, 232; Plates 1 and 2) for York Corporation. It is constructed of pink mottled brick in Flemish bond with a Welsh slate roof. It has a yard wall of brick with ashlar gate piers and cast-iron railings. This building is listed Grade II


Grid reference Centred SE 6032 5132 (42m by 49m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Bonded Warehouse SKELDERGATE. Warehouse, and attached walls, railings and gate piers bounding yard to north-west. Dated 1875. By George Styan, City of York Surveyor. MATERIALS: pink mottled brick in Flemish bond with polychrome brick dressings; ashlar plinth, banded in blue brick, forms river front revetment; hipped roofs of Welsh slate. Yard wall of brick with ashlar coping; cast-iron railings. Ashlar gate piers. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 7-bay river front, with paired 2-storey 3-bay fronts to left. 3-storey range: centre bay, between giant pilasters, has C20 glazed door on ground floor, and original lifting doors on upper floors. Ground and first floor windows in flanking bays are segment-headed, with moulded brick architraves and ashlar sills, beneath arches of moulded brick with ashlar inserts; small-pane glazing incorporates central top-hung opening panels. First floor windows recessed over shaped panels of contrasting brick. Second floor windows are round-arched and radial-glazed, over sill band. Moulded eaves string course beneath frieze of shallow shaped panels of contrasting brick, and ashlar eaves band. Low parapet rises over centre bay as segmental pedimented gable between panelled piers flanked by volutes. Urn finials to piers and pediment. Carved panel in gable depicts the arms of the City of York. Paired 2-storey fronts have C20 glazed doors on ground floor and original lifting doors on second floor. Fenestration detail repeats that on 3-storey front. Roof parapet stepped-up to form plinth surmounted by ball and pedestal finials over junction of fronts. Left return: 2 storeys, 5 bays, outer bays convex on plan. Centre bay, between giant pilasters, has blind window on each floor, and arcaded eaves corbel table of ashlar and polychrome brick. Fenestration in flanking bays repeats that on river front, while end bays have blind windows. Eaves frieze, cornice and parapet continue from river front, with curved gable over centre bay, inscribed: "BONDING WAREHOUSE/ AD 1875". Street front: 3-storey 6-bay range with 1-storey pent bay at left end, set back from paired 2-storey 3-bay wings to right. Left range has tiered lifting doors in left of centre bay, and segment-arched double board doors in pent bay. Ground floor windows segment-arched, with ashlar sills and sill band; first floor windows segment-arched with ashlar sills, recessed over shaped panels of contrasting brick and raised first floor
band. Second floor windows round-arched with radial glazing, beneath keyed hoods on corbel stops; raised sill band and narrow impost band. Panelled eaves frieze beneath flat cornice of ashlar and plain parapet. Paired wings have wide segment-arched doorways in centre bays, left one with original sliding doors, right one with double board doors set in brick screen. Blind segment-arched windows flank doorways, over raised sill band which rises over doors to form door arches. First floor window detailing repeats that of 3-storey range; centre windows are blind and have half-hipped canopies on console brackets. First floor band. Parapet with plinth between volutes will ball and pedestal finials at junction. INTERIOR: full-height staircase with stone steps and cast-iron banisters and handrail survives in 3-storey part. Lower floors are brick vaulted on cast-iron columns against fire. 3-storey part roofed on 5 massive queen-post trusses; 2-storey part on 4 king-post trusses. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: low yard wall with chamfered coping, raked up at right end, with flat coping. Diagonally set pointed railings. Chamfered, bar-stopped gate piers, square on plan, with rounded cross-pedimented caps.
Listing NGR: SE6032851329

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR related information

National Record of Industrial Monuments
Two sets of index cards in the NMR Archive, arranged by county and by industry.
Recorded by J Tanner, Feb-1967, Record No.YO29

BF061150 WAREHOUSE SKELDERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.
NRI01 National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM): Index Cards This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.The collection consists of topographically arranged index cards and copies relating to individual monuments and county lists of monuments associated with the National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM) between 1963 and 1980. The NRIM was set up by the Council for British Archaeology (CBA) in 1963 and administration was taken over by the University of Bath in 1965. Record cards for individual buildings were completed by interested parties and submitted. Sets of cards were maintained by the CBA, University of Bath (latterly the Industrial Monuments Survey) and the National Monuments Record.In 2012 the collection was updated by Heritage Data and where appropriate monuments were allocated a county designation number.

WYAS, 2007, Bonding Warehouse Skeldergate (Unpublished document). SYO1029.

On-Site Archaeology, 2013, The Bonding Warehouse Skeldergate (Unpublished document). SYO1446.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: WYAS. 2007. Bonding Warehouse Skeldergate.
  • --- Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2013. The Bonding Warehouse Skeldergate.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Jan 14 2020 3:23PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.