Building record MYO780 - 44-46 Stonegate
|Grid reference||SE 6026 5206 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (8)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (C15, Medieval - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- HOUSE (Refronted and altered mid C18, Early C18 to Mid C18 - 1733 AD to 1766 AD)
- HOUSE (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- SHOP (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- HOUSE (Mid C19, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1833 AD to 1866 AD)
- SHOP (Later C19, Early C19 to Late C19 - 1833 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHOP (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- TEA ROOM (C20 change of use, C20 to Unknown - 1980 AD)
Formerly known as: Nos.38 AND 39 STONEGATE. Houses, now shops and tea rooms. C15 front range, refronted mid C18 and raised mid C19; C15 range at rear of No.44, linked to front range in mid C18, remodelled in early C19; C18 and C20 extensions to No.46. Early C19 shopfronts, altered later in C19.
MATERIALS: front and rear ranges timber-framed, fronted in orange-grey brick in Flemish bond, raised in similar brick in random bond; orange brick quoins and window arches, timber cornice and timber shopfront with cast-iron glazing bars: rear range encased in orange-red brick in random bond: rear block to No.46 of red brick in Flemish bond. Pantile roofs with brick stacks and timber modillioned guttering.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. Both shopfronts framed in sunk-panelled pilasters with carved imposts beneath plain frieze and enriched cornice on elongated leaf consoles. No.44 has glazed flush-panel door with overlight between 3-light plate glass windows with roller blinds. No.46 has shallow small-pane bow window beneath segmental fanlight with moulded glazing bars: shop door to right is glazed, beneath oval fanlight; passage door to left is 6-panelled and has blind semicircular fanlight: both fanlights have beaded radiating glazing bars. Upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes except for two 4-pane sashes at right end of second floor: all have narrow sills and flat arches of gauged brick. 4-course raised brick band to second floor. Timber wall plate visible above second floor windows. Central passage leads to small court enclosed by rear wings to both shops.
No.44 has 6-panel door beneath divided overlight to left of tripartite window with 16-pane centre sash; on first floor are 12-pane sashes, some with original glazing bars, some with segmental brick arches: one 16-pane sash on second floor. 3-course raised brick bands to first and second floors. Rear block to No.46 has through passage to right of 6-panel door, both in round-arched openings: C20 windows: 3- and 4-course raised brick bands. Rear: No.44 has 2-storey 2-window front beneath plain parapet, to right of 3-storey projecting gabled wing to No.46. 2-storey part has window of tripled C19 sashes beneath wide segmental 1-course brick arch to right of passage arch: on first floor is altered Venetian window, with 16-pane sash in round-headed centre light.
INTERIOR: of No.44. Staircase from ground to second floor has close strings, slender turned balusters, bulbous newel and heavy ramped handrail: matching moulded dado rail. On both half landings are C17 panelled doors on L-hinges. Ground floor: middle room has fireplace with fluted jambs, paterae, frieze and round-headed grate. First floor: front room has moulded beams and wall plates; fireplace enriched with composition ornament. Middle room has dado of re-used run-through panelling. Rear room has fireplace enriched with composition ornament: door, doorcase, cupboard door and architrave carved with leaf and rosette motifs.
No.46. Staircase from ground floor to attic has close string, turned balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and moulded ramped handrail. Some timber-framing visible on second floor. First floor front room has fireplace with moulded jambs and frieze, angle roundels and hob grate with fluted side pieces; reeded door architraves with angle roundels. Second floor front room has blocked C18 fireplace with cornice shelf; cupboard door of run-through panelling on H-hinges.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 223-4).
Listing NGR: SE6025652067
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(467) House and shops, Nos. 44, 46, of two and three storeys, partly with attics, are built of brick, with pantiled roofs, but contain elements of timber framing. The property was the prebendal house of Barmby. The existing complex consists of ranges around a small courtyard and has a perdominantly mid 18th-century appearance. The range fronting the street was probably built in the 15th century as a feramed building of three storeys, four bays long; a large chimney with diagonally-set stacks was added in the rear in the 17th century and the jetties upper floors were cut back and replaced by a new front wall of brick in the 18th century. There are cased beams on the ground and first floors, but the only framing now viosible is on the second floor of No. 46, occupying the two N.E. Bays, and is limited to posts, tie-beams and wall-plates, as all the wall stuids have been removed. In the attic the original roof trusses have been cut away along the front, but the rear slope has a side-purlin supported by braced raking-struts. A second 15th-century framed building stood about 30ft. Behind the front range; thoughall the original walls have been rebuillt in brick, the roof structure, with a span of 20ft., survives inside the rear wing of No. 44. It is of two bays and now above a two-storey building, but may originally have covered a single-storey open hall. The crown-post truss at the N.E. end (Fig. 6g) supports centre and side-purlins, and the truss at the S.W. End, which could not be closely examined, is similar but without braces to the crown-post. The central truss has been removed, but all the rafters and collars remain.
Extensive alterations and additions were made in the mid 18th century to give three tenements, one of which occupied a new block at the rear, but this division has been modified by subsequent conversions. Modern buildinghas completed the enclosure of the courtyard.
The five-bay front elevation is in Flemish bond with red brick dressings to the hung-sash windows and second-floor band. No. 46 has an early 19th-century shop front with shallow bow window and segmental fanlight with radiating glazing bars; the adjacent doorway has an oval fanlight. No. 44 has an 18th-century three-storeyed wing connecting the front range to the other mediaeval building at the rear; it has a side elevation to the courtyard with windows havingsemi-elli[ptical arches and a doorway leading directly to the transversely-placed staircase, which has close strings, turned balusters and ramped handrail. There are a number of contemporary flttings inside No. 44, of fairly simple character, and the first-floor front room has an early 19th-century chimney piece with composition ornament. The rear room, within the15th-century building, also has early 19th-century enriched fittinmgs, and in the back wall is a converted Venetian window.
Inside No. 46, the staircase serving the front part is similar to that in No. 44, though the balusters differ slightly. The rear block, of three storeys, is now connected to the front range by a modern two-storey wing and is also joined to the back part of No. 44. It has an unusually spacious staircase, around an open well, with cot string below first floor level and boldly ramped handrails.
SYO65: 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 224. London: RCHME
Nos. 44 and 46 have C15 timber-framing behind a mid-C18 five-bay three-storey brick facade in Flemish bond. Good early C19 bowed shopfront to No. 46 with segmantal fanlight.
Pevsner N and Neave D 1972. The Buildings of England:Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p233. London: Penguin
(SE 60265206-O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. STONEGATE (north-west side) 5343
Nos 44 and 46 (formerly listed as Nos 38 and 39)
SE 6052 SW 27/601 14.6.54
Mainly mid C18 but incorporating some earlier work, and with later alterations; brick; 2 and 3 storeys, partly with attics; 5 flush sash windows (some renewed) with flat brick arches. No 46 has a good early C19 shop front with bow window surmounted by an enriched segmental fanlight; enriched oval fanlight over shop doorway and another over door to passageway on left-hand side; beaded and foliated consoles support a light cornice overall. No 44 retains the corresponding cornice and consoles but the shop windows and door are later C19 replacements.
(RCHM) Vol V, Monument 467).
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061192 44-46 STONEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2020 12:20PM