Listed Building: (464839)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II*
LBSUID 464839
Date assigned Monday, June 14, 1954
Date last amended


YORK SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1040 (North West side) 14/06/54 Nos.44 AND 46 GV II* Formerly known as: Nos.38 AND 39 STONEGATE. Houses, now shops and tea rooms. C15 front range, refronted mid C18 and raised mid C19; C15 range at rear of No.44, linked to front range in mid C18, remodelled in early C19; C18 and C20 extensions to No.46. Early C19 shopfronts, altered later in C19. MATERIALS: front and rear ranges timber-framed, fronted in orange-grey brick in Flemish bond, raised in similar brick in random bond; orange brick quoins and window arches, timber cornice and timber shopfront with cast-iron glazing bars: rear range encased in orange-red brick in random bond: rear block to No.46 of red brick in Flemish bond. Pantile roofs with brick stacks and timber modillioned guttering. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. Both shopfronts framed in sunk-panelled pilasters with carved imposts beneath plain frieze and enriched cornice on elongated leaf consoles. No.44 has glazed flush-panel door with overlight between 3-light plate glass windows with roller blinds. No.46 has shallow small-pane bow window beneath segmental fanlight with moulded glazing bars: shop door to right is glazed, beneath oval fanlight; passage door to left is 6-panelled and has blind semicircular fanlight: both fanlights have beaded radiating glazing bars. Upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes except for two 4-pane sashes at right end of second floor: all have narrow sills and flat arches of gauged brick. 4-course raised brick band to second floor. Timber wall plate visible above second floor windows. Central passage leads to small court enclosed by rear wings to both shops. No.44 has 6-panel door beneath divided overlight to left of tripartite window with 16-pane centre sash; on first floor are 12-pane sashes, some with original glazing bars, some with segmental brick arches: one 16-pane sash on second floor. 3-course raised brick bands to first and second floors. Rear block to No.46 has through passage to right of 6-panel door, both in round-arched openings: C20 windows: 3- and 4-course raised brick bands. Rear: No.44 has 2-storey 2-window front beneath plain parapet, to right of 3-storey projecting gabled wing to No.46. 2-storey part has window of tripled C19 sashes beneath wide segmental 1-course brick arch to right of passage arch: on first floor is altered Venetian window, with 16-pane sash in round-headed centre light. INTERIOR: of No.44. Staircase from ground to second floor has close strings, slender turned balusters, bulbous newel and heavy ramped handrail: matching moulded dado rail. On both half landings are C17 panelled doors on L-hinges. Ground floor: middle room has fireplace with fluted jambs, paterae, frieze and round-headed grate. First floor: front room has moulded beams and wall plates; fireplace enriched with composition ornament. Middle room has dado of re-used run-through panelling. Rear room has fireplace enriched with composition ornament: door, doorcase, cupboard door and architrave carved with leaf and rosette motifs. No.46. Staircase from ground floor to attic has close string, turned balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and moulded ramped handrail. Some timber-framing visible on second floor. First floor front room has fireplace with moulded jambs and frieze, angle roundels and hob grate with fluted side pieces; reeded door architraves with angle roundels. Second floor front room has blocked C18 fireplace with cornice shelf; cupboard door of run-through panelling on H-hinges. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 223-4). Listing NGR: SE6025652067

External Links (0)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 60255 52066 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2007 3:00PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.