Building record MYO746 - 117-119 The Mount
|Grid reference||SE 5941 5100 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Two houses, now hotel. 1833/4, altered C20. White brick with dressings of painted stone and exposed limestone. Slate roofs. Tudor Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic and basement. The windows are mullioned and transomed with painted surrounds. No.119, at the right, is symmetrical and of 3 bays. The central bay is flanked by octagonal piers which rise as turrets, which are of limestone and have worn carved panels and crockets. The outer bays have canted bay windows on the ground floor, with mullioned and transomed windows, rising above mullioned canted cellar windows. On the 1st floor the outer bays have cross windows and the central bay has an oriel with embattled parapet. The attic is lit by 2 flat-roofed dormers. The central Tudor-arched door surround is now glazed and the external steps have been removed. On the 1st floor there is a moulded string course at sill level, one which rises as hood moulds over the windows, and one below the parapet, which rises to form a gable over the central bay. To left and right there are corbelled turrets with limestone caps. The gables are coped and have chimneys with octagonal shafts: the right-hand ones retain their pots. At the left there is a link to No.117, with a slated roof behind an entrance with C20 doorway and steps and an enlarged painted surround. No.117 is of 2 gabled bays, the left-hand one projecting slightly and having a ground-floor canted mullioned and transomed bay window above a mullioned canted cellar window. The right-hand bay has a window of 3 lights with transom on the ground floor. Both have cross windows on the 1st floor and narrow chamfered attic windows in the gables.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).
Listing NGR: SE5941751002
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No 117. 1833/4. 3 bays x partly 2 and partly 3 storeys. First rated 1835/6, and probably finished by 29 April 1834 when sold to Thomas Pickersgill. Gothic
No 119. 1833. 3 bays x 2 storeys, basement and attics. First rated 1836/7
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972: 127
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060901 117 THE MOUNT, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
BF060902 119 THE MOUNT, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2020 2:48PM