Building record MYO729 - 136-144 The Mount and attached railings


Terrace of 5 houses. 1824. Brick with slate roof.


Grid reference Centred SE 5940 5109 (29m by 32m)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Terrace of 5 houses. 1824. Brick with slate roof.

EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, except for No.144 which is of 2 storeys. Each house of one bay, except for No.136, which is of 2 bays. The ground-floor windows are bowed tripartite glazing bar sashes. The 1st floor windows of Nos 138, 140 and 142 are similar. The other windows to upper storeys are glazing bar sashes with brick flat arches, except for the 1st floor window of No.144 which is sashed with a painted brick arch. Each house has a doorway at the left with a doorcase which has engaged reeded columns, and a door with 6 raised and fielded panels. Each has a fanlight, except for No.144, which has a plain semicircular overlight. No.140 has a small sashed dormer. The gutters are carried on paired rectangular timber brackets. Chimneys on gables of 3-storey range and between houses.

INTERIORS: not inspected.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the front gardens are enclosed by iron railings set on low brick walls with stone copings. The gardens are separated by walls and railings and each has an iron gate.

(RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 128).
Listing NGR: SE5940451098

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

136–44 (even) 1824 Terrace. Lease for building 1824. Each house in general 1½ bays x 3 storeys, basement and attics.

'Topographical List of Houses Built Between 1800 and 1850', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 123-130.

NMR Information

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060914 136-144 THE MOUNT, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

Number 144 The Mount is brick with a slate roof, it is unique being the only two-storey building
in a terrace of fi ve of three- storey buildings. To the rear are ground and fi rst fl oor extensions
that post-date the original house, these are brick with slate and asphalt roofs. Two consents
to carry out internal alterations were granted in May 1998 and September. In addition an
application was made to build a new rear extension in May 2015 however, this was withdrawn
following consultation with City of York Council (from Heritage Satement associated with 17/00367/LBC).

NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Mar 6 2020 2:04PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.