Building record MYO698 - 24 Walmgate, The Five Lions Public House And Attached Outbuildings
|Grid reference||SE 6066 5164 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- INN (Late C18, Late C18 - 1767 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (Late C18, Late C18 - 1767 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (C19, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- OUTBUILDING (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Refronted c1930, C20 - 1910 AD to 1950 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Inn and rear stable range; subdivided into public house, outbuildings, and shop. Late C18; stables raised in C19, altered and part demolished in C20; inn refronted c1930.
MATERIALS: front of buff brick in Flemish bond, rear of red brick in random bond; inn front of painted tile; roof of Roman tile with rebuilt brick stacks at each end. Stables of painted brick, orange and mottled brick in English random and garden-wall bonds; Roman tile roof.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-window front. Wide carriage arch between inn front to left, shopfront to right, both curved on plan. Inn front has two 3-light mullion and transom windows with heavy painted sills. Shopfront has glazed door between plate glass windows. First floor windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches. Moulded cornice beneath later boxed guttering. Rear: 2 storeys, right end with gabled attic. Shop has 16-pane ground floor sash, attic 3-light mullion and transom window with painted timber lintel; other windows 4-pane sashes. Stable range: 2 storeys, 6 bays. Board stable doors beneath overlights; windows have cambered heads, one retaining slatted shutter. Loft openings blocked by iron sheeting.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237).
Listing NGR: SE6065551649
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(505) Five Lions, p.h., No. 24, is a two-storey building of the late 18th century; it was originally L-shaped on plan but the re-entrant angle has been filled in. A carriageway to the rear was opened through the building in the 19th century and the rest of the front elevation has been modernised on the ground floor; above are five hung-sash windows. The interior has been altered and refitted. Facing the yard behind is a late 18th-century stable range, originally of one and two storeys but now heightened to two storeys throughout.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14/03/1971
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF061241 THE FIVE LIONS PUBLIC HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 6 2020 3:01PM