SE6051NE WALMGATE 1112-1/17/1157 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.24 The Five Lions Public House and attached outbuildings
Inn and rear stable range; subdivided into public house, outbuildings, and shop. Late C18; stables raised in C19, altered and part demolished in C20; inn refronted c1930. MATERIALS: front of buff brick in Flemish bond, rear of red brick in random bond; inn front of painted tile; roof of Roman tile with rebuilt brick stacks at each end. Stables of painted brick, orange and mottled brick in English random and garden-wall bonds; Roman tile roof. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-window front. Wide carriage arch between inn front to left, shopfront to right, both curved on plan. Inn front has two 3-light mullion and transom windows with heavy painted sills. Shopfront has glazed door between plate glass windows. First floor windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches. Moulded cornice beneath later boxed guttering. Rear: 2 storeys, right end with gabled attic. Shop has 16-pane ground floor sash, attic 3-light mullion and transom window with painted timber lintel; other windows 4-pane sashes. Stable range: 2 storeys, 6 bays. Board stable doors beneath overlights; windows have cambered heads, one retaining slatted shutter. Loft openings blocked by iron sheeting. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237).
Listing NGR: SE6065551649
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.