Monument record MYO4961 - Sir Arthur Ingram's House
|Grid reference||SE 6024 5221 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Dean's Park, so named c. 1910, previously the Deanery Gardens, is an area of lawns and trees to N. of the Minster, occupied in the Middle Ages by the grounds of the Archbishop's Palace. In c. 1620 Sir Arthur Ingram built a new mansion in the W. part of the palace site and laid out elaborate gardens. The remains of this house and of the great hall of the palace, used in the 18th century as a riding school, were demolished in 1814–16.
'Houses: Cumberland Street-George Street', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central (London, 1981), pp. 128-135.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF095667 SIR ARTHUR INGRAMS HOUSE, YORK Plans are photographs of the originals
Person of historic interest/notable pers Sir ARTHUR INGRAM 1613
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 30 2020 4:46PM