Building record MYO4814 - 111 Micklegate

Summary

Late 18th to early 19th century house, three storeys and built of brick, now demolished. The house incorporated at the east end, part of a medieval timber framed range which extended on to the gateway of Holy Trinity Priory.

Location

Grid reference SE 5981 5151 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Nos. 99, 101, 103, 105, 107, 109, comprise a two-storey range of seven timber-framed tenements with a frontage to Micklegate of nearly 100 ft., and to the rear of Nos. 107 and 109 three buildings of the 15th, 17th and 19th centuries, known collectively as No. 111. The front range, Nos. 99–109, was built in the mid or late 14th century, probably before 1369, the N.E. house, No. 99, standing against the now vanished 13th-century gateway to Holy Trinity Priory. These tenements were combined and divided in various combinations at different periods. Nos. 99, 101 and 103 had attics inserted in the 17th century, and No. 103 was refronted in brick in the middle of the 18th century by a member of the Greenup family. In 1774 Nos. 105, 107 and 109 were 'newly and uniformly fronted' with a three-storeyed brick elevation by Thomas Peart (YCA, E.96, f. 47). No. 111 consists of three buildings, here described as (A), (B) and (C) (see plan). (A) was built, probably c. 1806, in the angle between the two parts of No. 113, and incorporates the S.W. corner of No. 109. (B) at the S.E. end of the No. 111 complex, is a 15th-century timber-framed building; from its position far back from the street frontage, it may have formed some minor element in the conventual layout of Holy Trinity Priory. (C) is also timber-framed and is a late 16th or early 17th-century house. Its position, linking (B) to the back of Nos. 107 and 109, fits the pattern noted in No. 89 Micklegate of buildings being erected within the grounds of the Priory after it had come into lay possession. The planned use of a semi-attic in No. 111(C) is interesting, and the constructional details of the 14th-century range are worthy of note.

No. 111(A) has a S. elevation of three storeys in brick with pantiled roof and brick bands between the storeys. The base of the S. wall is of early 18th-century date with a contemporary window. All the internal fittings are of the early 19th century.

No. 111(B) is of two storeys with pantiled roof. The external timber-framing, apart from main posts, has been replaced by brickwork. The S. and W. walls are of late 17th or early 18th-century brick, the S. end having a tumbled gable. The ground-floor room has a chimney-breast contemporary with the brick walls, and panelling of both 17th and 18th-century dates. The first floor is reached by a late 18th-century staircase. Both rooms have early 18th-century fireplace surrounds with 19th-century hob grates. The 15th-century roof has two trusses of crown-post construction.

No. 111(C), of two storeys and semi-attic, is timber-framed with brick patchings and pantiled roof. The gabled S. end is of plastered brick, and the W. wall was rebuilt in the 19th century. The first floor is approached by a 19th-century staircase in an external addition. Originally the entrance must have been from No. 107 or 109, and the opening to the staircase a window. The original framing survives, almost complete, on the E., S. and W. walls, and in the N. wall is a fireplace with a 19th-century hob grate. The semi-attic has 3 ft.-high walls, and the central roof-truss has sole-pieces carrying kerb-principals. It is lit by a window in the S. gable.

Nos. 105–111 demolished in 1961.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972). Monument 87

NMR Information

BF060835 111 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 14 2020 10:17AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.