Building record MYO4813 - 105-109 Micklegate
|Grid reference||SE 5980 5151 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Nos. 99, 101, 103, 105, 107, 109, comprise a two-storey range of seven timber-framed tenements with a frontage to Micklegate of nearly 100 ft., and to the rear of Nos. 107 and 109 three buildings of the 15th, 17th and 19th centuries, known collectively as No. 111. The front range, Nos. 99–109, was built in the mid or late 14th century, probably before 1369, the N.E. house, No. 99, standing against the now vanished 13th-century gateway to Holy Trinity Priory. These tenements were combined and divided in various combinations at different periods. Nos. 99, 101 and 103 had attics inserted in the 17th century, and No. 103 was refronted in brick in the middle of the 18th century by a member of the Greenup family. In 1774 Nos. 105, 107 and 109 were 'newly and uniformly fronted' with a three-storeyed brick elevation by Thomas Peart (YCA, E.96, f. 47). No. 111 consists of three buildings, here described as (A), (B) and (C). (A) was built, probably c. 1806, in the angle between the two parts of No. 113 (93), and incorporates the S.W. corner of No. 109. (B) at the S.E. end of the No. 111 complex, is a 15th-century timber-framed building; from its position far back from the street frontage, it may have formed some minor element in the conventual layout of Holy Trinity Priory. (C) is also timber-framed and is a late 16th or early 17th-century house. Its position, linking (B) to the back of Nos. 107 and 109, fits the pattern noted in No. 89 Micklegate of buildings being erected within the grounds of the Priory after it had come into lay possession. The planned use of a semi-attic in No. 111(C) is interesting, and the constructional details of the 14th-century range are worthy of note.
Nos. 105, 107, 109 present a unified front elevation of brick, of three storeys under a roof covered with modern sheeting. They have a band at second floor and a modillioned and dentilled cornice; most of the openings are Victorian. Between No. 107 and 109 is a rainwater head inscribed 'TP 1774'. At the back only a mid 18th-century extension behind No. 105 is visible; it was originally three storeys, but has been reduced to two. The lower storeys contain many timbers of the original frame as well as late 18th and 19th-century hob grates. The staircase to No. 105 is of mid 19th-century date.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972). Monument 87
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060834 99-101 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 5:01PM