Building record MYO4812 - Micklegate Motors


113 Micklegate. The original part of the house was built in the second half of the 18th century. In about 1800 an upper storey was added to the front block and back range and the street front remodelled. c.1820-30 the back range was extended. Demolished in 1959.


Grid reference Centred SE 5979 5151 (0m by 1m)
Map sheet SE55SE
Civil Parish Upper Poppleton, City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

No. 113, was built about 1740; it was of three storeys and comprised a front block and a wing projecting at the back. About 1811, a fourth storey was added to the front block, the street front was remodelled, and the upper part of the back wing was altered. The back range was extended c. 1820–30, and a pleasant S. front to the garden created; a little later a small block was added at the S.E. corner. In 1736, when occupied by Mrs. Jane Palmes, this house was bought by John Theakston, whitesmith (YCA, E.93, f. 87), who sold it in the next year to William Greene, gent., owner of the adjacent 'large messuage' on W., the former No. 115 (E.93, f. 103). It was probably the 'large new built sash'd house in occupation of Roger Meynel esq.' advertised by Mr. William Green in 1742 (York Courant, 23 Feb.), with a coach-house and two stables for six and two horses respectively. A succession of tenants occupied the house during the later 18th and early 19th centuries, among them Thomas Jennings, esq., from 1779 until 1821. During his occupancy, in 1812, the rating assessment was advanced from £5 to £9, and this presumably indicates that the extensive alterations and additions to the house had just been done. Apart from general reassessment of the parish, no further change took place until after 1850, when the owner and occupier was the Rt. Rev. Dr. John Briggs.

The front elevation, of four storeys, in pale-coloured stock brick with red brick dressings above a stone plinth, is of the 18th century, with alterations of c. 1811. The entrance, tall and narrow, has an early 19th-century door-case flanked by reeded columns with formalised leaf caps, under a flat entablature. To E. are two sash windows and to W. a modern window. At first floor are two large segmental bow windows (c. 1811), each having a moulded wooden base with brickwork above, three sashes, reeded pilaster jambs, plain roundel paterae to the caps, a fluted frieze, and simple cornice. The second floor has two sash windows, and in the top storey are two windows the same width as those below but less than half the height.

The front block has one front room beside the entrance hall on the ground floor and a saloon extending the full width of the house on the first floor; the back wing contains the staircase and two rooms beyond. The extension provided one large room on each of the main floors. Nearly all the fittings are of the 19th century but the doorway to the saloon has the original enriched architrave and cornice to the landing, and towards the room a 19th-century architrave under the original cornice. The 18th-century stairs up to the second floor remain, with cut string and turned balusters. There are also some 18th-century doors, of three fielded panels.

Demolished 1960.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972). Monument 93

NMR Information
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060841 113 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (4)

Record last edited

Feb 11 2020 4:37PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.