Monument record MYO4688 - YORK CITY WALLS Tower 35
|Grid reference||SE 6106 5154 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest City of York, 14-Mar-1997
Tower 35 is rectangular, 18¼ ft. wide and projecting 4 ft. 4 ins. There is a blocked arrow slit in
the N. side, another in the E. and remains of a third in the S., all 2 ft. 11 ins. above the plinth.
The E. wall is supported on a foundation arch. The wall between Towers 35 and 36 is neatly faced in large ashlar blocks above a plinth which steps up twice and has below it rough masonry extending to the exposed crowns of a series of foundation arches... The base of the wall with the plinth and arches appears to be 14thcentury, but much of the upper part was rebuilt in 1864. (SYO63 repeated in Mason and Clark 2019)
1980 – Survey report by R. D Waterman (City Engineer). Condition of walls described as
generally fair between the Red Tower, Tower 35 and Tower 36 (including the area of 1864
rebuild/pier removal at chainage 2800). The walls between Tower 36 and Walmgate Bar are
described as requiring urgent repairs.
1990s/00s repairs – Tie bars are known to have been installed in Tower 35 only along this stretch. There is no obvious indication that these were installed elsewhere, based on annotations made to the 1991 survey. (Mason and Clark 2019)
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences, p140 (Monograph). SYO63.
2019, Towers 35 -36 Structural Inspections (Unpublished document). SYO2446.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463056: CITY WALL FROM THE RED TOWER TO FISHERGATE POSTERN TOWER AND FISHERGATE BAR AND FISHERGATE POSTERN TOWER AND THE RED TOWER AND WALMGATE BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Part of: YORK CITY WALLS (Red Tower to Fishergate Postern Tower) (Monument) (MYO1734)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS between Red Tower and Walmgate Bar (Chainage 2600-2900) (Monument) (MYO4690)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS Rampart between Red Tower and Walmgate Bar (Monument) (MYO4691)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 24 2020 4:44PM