Monument record MYO4640 - YORK CITY WALLS (TOWER 8)
Rectangular tower, part of the city walls, built in the early 14th century, restored in the 1830s. It was added to the city walls and has suffered from subsidence.
|Grid reference||SE 5996 5132 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
RCHME, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences (Monograph). SYO63.
- --- SYO63 Monograph: RCHME. 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463065: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN AND CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER AND MICKLEGATE BAR AND VICTORIA BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Part of: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALL between Tower 7 and 8 (Monument) (MYO4639)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALL between Tower 8 and 9 (Chainage 400-500) (Monument) (MYO4642)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS RAMPART (Victoria Bar to Micklegate Bar) (Monument) (MYO4658)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2020 3:00PM