Monument record MYO4627 - HOSPITAL OF ST ANTHONY GILLYGATE
|Grid reference||SE 6025 5269 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
The Hospital of St Anthony en Viennois apparently had a chapel at Gillygate in 1401. Being empty in 1401, it was occupied by a hermit until 1403, when the hermit was evicted. Thence, a small hospital was founded on the site, an indulgence being granted to people giving to its support in 1429. The site was leased in 1551.
1 Union Terrace : excavations in the Horsefair 18-19 vol.11, fasc.1 by J D Richards, C Heighway and S Donaghey
2 Medieval religious houses in England and Wales 408 by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2019 3:07PM