Monument record MYO4354 - Roman Structure
|Grid reference||SE 6066 5153 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
RCHME, 1962, Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum (Bibliographic reference). SYO62.
54) Wharf, columns only, was excavated in 1938 on the site for the Employment Exchange in Piccadilly (N.G. 60685154). In Roman times the Foss river ran by the site, now it is 100 yds. away to the W. See introductory note to Monument (52).
¶The remains consisted of two rows of rough stone columns 3 ft. high and 1 ft. to 1½ ft. square, which were clearly meant to support a platform (JRS, XXIX (1939), 204).
- --- SYO62 Bibliographic reference: RCHME. 1962. Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum. 1.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 10:30AM