Monument record MYO3587 - Trench system at Military Airfield Rawcliffe
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5964 5544 (114m by 157m)|
|Civil Parish||Rawcliffe, City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||Clifton Without, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Aerial photographs show the zig-zag lines of war-time trenches on the disused airfield on Clifton Moor.
1 Oblique aerial photograph reference number NMR SE 5955/2 (4411/05) 16-FEB-1990
Evaluated in 2020 as part of a wider evaluation by YAT. It was concluded that the trench had a U shaped profile measuring 1.68m wide and 0.72 m deep. Ripples were noted in the section interpreted as a previously revetted surface of corrugated iron. A second slit trench evaluated measured 1.54m wide, excvated to a depth of 0.8m but the base was not reached. It was 0.55m at 0.8m depth (YAT 2020).
York Archaeological Trust, 2020, Whitehall Grange, Wigginton Road EVA (Unpublished document). SYO2531.
- --- SYO2531 Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2020. Whitehall Grange, Wigginton Road EVA.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY: CLIFTON AERODROME THE ZIGZAGS IN CENTRE COULD BESLIT TRENCHES (Ref: AJC109/36-37) (EYO1095)
- AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY: English Heritage Vale of York National Mapping Project (EYO4440)
- OTHER: NRHE to HER Project (EYO6536)
- EVALUATION: Whitehall Grange, Wigginton Road (Ref: 2020/73) (EYO7794)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2020 10:01AM