Monument record MYO315 - Monk Bridge

Summary

Bridge over the River Foss consisting of a single round arch. Built in 1794, widened and partly rebuilt in 1924-6. Built on the site of an earlier bridge built after 1644.

Location

Grid reference SE 6089 5251 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Monk Bridge carrying the road over the river Foss at the W. end of Heworth Green was built in 1794 to a design by Peter Atkinson senior (YCA, K. 63; YC 12/6/1794). It has a single round arch of coarse yellow ashlar with large plain voussoirs, spanning 18–20 ft. An earlier bridge was broken down in 1644 (Torre, 108) and its successor was in such a bad state of repair in 1791 that an indictment was brought against the Corporation by the Crown (YCA, K.63). The Corporation bore the cost of the new bridge, aided by a contribution of £100 from the Foss Navigation Company on the understanding that the bridge should be 'fully sufficient for the purposes of the Navigation with a towing path or paths under the same'. The work was carried out by Joseph Lister, Christopher Dalton and (?) King (YCA, K.63; c.75, f. 20v). A second footpath on the E. side of the bridge was added and the approach to the bridge improved in 1844 (YCA, Council Minute Book, vol. 3, 1842–50, 103, 108). Between 1924 and 1926 the bridge was widened and the upper parts rebuilt (YG 18/9/1926),

'Miscellaneous Secular Buildings', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (London, 1975), pp. 44-54. Monument 18

Original stone on N side of bridge, cast concrete on S side when bridge widened in 1920s

NMR Information

Source
1 National Record of Industrial Monuments Two sets of index cards in the NMR Archive, arranged by county and by industry. Recorded by D Stabler, 16-Jan-1967, Record no.YO30

Related Events
1511398 Desk Based Assessment National Record of Industrial Monuments

Related Archives

BF060296 MONK BRIDGE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.

NRI01 National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM): Index Cards This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.The collection consists of topographically arranged index cards and copies relating to individual monuments and county lists of monuments associated with the National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM) between 1963 and 1980. The NRIM was set up by the Council for British Archaeology (CBA) in 1963 and administration was taken over by the University of Bath in 1965. Record cards for individual buildings were completed by interested parties and submitted. Sets of cards were maintained by the CBA, University of Bath (latterly the Industrial Monuments Survey) and the National Monuments Record.In 2012 the collection was updated by Heritage Data and where appropriate monuments were allocated a county designation number.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1975. RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 17 2020 8:27AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.