Monument record MYO2199 - York Cemetery


Established 1836-7 by the York Public Cemetery Company. Buildings and layout the first by James Pigott Pritchett, who became one of the century’s leading cemetery specialists. York Cemetery was opened in 1837. It contains a Grade II* listed chapel. The Gatehouse, part of the wrought iron boundary fence, and six monuments are Grade II listed. It was designed by the architect James Piggot Pritchett as a part of the original cemetery landscape. Pritchett based his design on the temple of Erectheus in Athens. Completed in 1838, the chapel is an excellent example of the late neo-classical style and is considered to be one of Pritchett's most successful commissions. Interment in the chapel's catacombs was offered as soon as the building was completed. Only 17 people were interred here, the last in August 1881. In July 1984, the roof of the chapel collapsed, bringing down part of the back wall. This single event stimulated a group of local people to take action, which led to the formation of York Cemetery Trust, who became the owners of the new freehold of the whole site in February 1987. Restoration began with the aid of grants and donations from many sources. The chapel came to new life when, after being left derelict for many years in the last century, it was restored once the Trustees took over the site in the late 1980s. York Cemetery is a working burial ground.


Grid reference Centred SE 6112 5081 (442m by 292m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (7)

Full Description


A public garden cemetery established in 1836-37 by James Pigott Pritchett for the York General Cemetery Company. The first burial took place in January 1837 in the unconsecrated ground. The first of many extensions to the cemetery took place in 1848 and by 1855, with all of York's churchyards within the medieval walls closed the cemetery was receiving virtually all of the city's dead.The last extension to the cemetery took place in 1938 and by 1963 there was no grave spaces left. By 1976 the cemetery ceased to be maintained and in 1984 the roof of the cemetery chapel collapsed. In 1986 the York Cemetery Trust was formed and in the following year a restoration of the grounds commenced. The cemetery continues to be maintained and managed by York Cemetery Trust. (1)

1 Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England PART 32 North Yorkshire, 25-Feb-2002 English Heritage

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 24 2019 11:39AM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.