Building record MYO1764 - 1 Bridge Street
|Grid reference||SE 6017 5162 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Shop and offices. 1815-1820, restored 1990. Probably by Peter Atkinson. Pink and white mottled brick in Flemish bond with orange brick dressings, on part-stone basement; moulded projecting eaves cornice with mutules, of timber. Hipped slate roof with orange ridge tiles, and two brick stacks, one at rear and one on ridge. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 1 window front. Double shopfront of plain pilasters and frieze with moulded cornice. Left end door of six raised and fielded panels beneath overlight. Glazed shop door with overlight recessed between plate glass windows over panelled risers. Upper floor windows are 1-pane sashes, attic one squat, with flat arches. Left return: basement, 3 storeys and attic; 3 windows. Blocked doorway in basement. Tall round-arched staircase window with margin glazing rises through ground, first and second floors, flanked by flat-arched 1-pane sash windows on each floor. Attic windows squat 1-pane sashes with flat arches. All windows have renewed stone sills and arches of gauged brick. INTERIOR: staircase balustrade of slender turned balusters with square knops and moulded handrail. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 124).
Listing NGR: SE6017451624
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Architect PETER ATKINSON 1815-1820 son of Peter Atkinson the first, a partner of Richard Hey Sharp until 1828. Practice based in North and West Yorkshire.
An inventory of the historical monuments in the City of York. Volume III: south-west of the Ouse
2 copies. 1972 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, England 124
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2020 10:27AM