Building record MYO1757 - 20 Castlegate
|Grid reference||SE 6041 5160 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Formerly known as: Nos.20 AND 22 CASTLEGATE. House and shop, and wall approximately 50 metres long attached to rear, forming boundary between Nos 18 (qv) and 20. Wall late C13; house and shop early C19, re-roofed and altered later.
MATERIALS: wall of magnesian limestone; house of orange brick in Flemish bond, part on painted stone plinth, and with painted stone dressings; ground floor, with remains of timber shopfront, rendered and painted; roof obscured by plain parapet. L-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Plain pilasters and flat cornice of earlier shopfront retained on ground floor: openings altered to half-canted small-pane shop window at right of recessed glazed and panelled door, with upstairs access door of 6 sunk panels further left. At left end, folding door of sunk panels beneath blind fanlight in semicircular arch of painted voussoirs. On first floor, 12-pane sash window is flanked by shallow canted bay windows with panelled risers and 15-pane centre sashes. Second floor windows are 9-pane sash between 16-pane sashes. All windows except bays have painted stone sills and flat arches of voussoirs with keyblocks. Centre windows on both floors have floating cornices.
INTERIOR: open string staircase with shaped treads has cast-iron balustrade of openwork angular panels. First floor room to left has apsidal end cantilevered over staircase, fitted with cupboards with shaped doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall attached to rear was part of the north-west wall of the precinct of the former Franciscan Friary.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 51; 114). Listing NGR: SE6041751606
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(87) House, No. 20, of three storeys, was built in the early 19th century. Above a modern shop front the three-bay front elevation has small central windows flanked by larger windows which, on the first floor, project as canted bays. The original roofs and attics have been removed. Inside, the staircase to the first floor has a wrought-iron balustrade of lozenges and hexagons. The first-floor room to S.E. has a semicircular end. A small wing at the back abuts the side of No. 22 and includes a fragment of late 17th-century brick wall.
(88) House, No. 22, behind No. 20, was built with two storeys and attics in the second quarter of the 18th century and partly rebuilt c. 1800 with three storeys. It has an irregular plan and the N.W. wall incorporates remains of the precinct wall of the Franciscan Friary, which is shown on the 1852 OS map as dividing No. 18 from Nos. 20 and 22. The staircase, with close string and turned balusters, is part of the original house, but most fittings are of the date of the alteration.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 51; 114
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060416 20 CASTLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2020 4:35PM