Building record MYO1721 - 8 Chapter House Street

Summary

Rectory and attached wall and outbuilding, now house and garage. A 2-storey house front of 2 bays at right angles. Early 18th century incorporating fragments of earlier timber-framed buildings; altered, extended and partly rebuilt in the early 19th century; further alteration in c.1840.

Location

Grid reference SE 6044 5228 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (8)

Full Description

Rectory and attached wall and outbuilding; now house and garage. Early C18 incorporating fragments of earlier buildings; altered, extended and partly rebuilt in early C19; further alteration c1840.

MATERIALS: render incised to resemble ashlar; stone coped gables and brick stacks to tiled roof at front, pantiled at rear; shaped gable against No.6 (qv) has brick coping; rendered parapet elsewhere has moulded stone coping. Orange-grey brick extension with pantile roof and brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: street front: attached wall contains two doors of 6 raised and fielded panels in moulded surrounds, one beneath moulded cornice on grooved consoles. Inside is 2-storey house front of 2 bays at right angles. Front door is of 3 moulded panels backed with planks: to right, 9-pane fixed window: above is canted bay with 4:12:4-pane sash windows. Bay to right has round-arched radial-glazed staircase window. Inverted bell rainwater head in angle between bays. Garden front: 2 storeys and attics; 3 bays: full-height 4-light canted bay window in centre. All windows are 12-pane sashes. Raised first floor and eaves bands beneath plain parapet partly masking two small-pane flat-topped dormers in attic. Garage is of 1 storey with loft, entered through garage door at right end of wall, and with brick dentilled eaves cornice.

INTERIOR: in cellar beneath main staircase and in front left room on ground floor fragments of timber-framing are visible. Entrance hall has moulded dado rail and cornice. Front right room has moulded cornice; corner fireplace c1700 with sunk-panel jambs and shaped cornice shelf; raised overmantel panel between fluted pilasters with moulded cornice. Front centre room has reeded doorcase with angle roundels, raised and fielded dado panelling and reeded cornice. Secondary staircase rises to attics, having close string, stick balusters, turned newel and ramped-up handrail. Main staircase rises around open well to first floor, with close string, turned balusters and moulded ramped-up handrail to square newels. First floor: landing has coved ceiling with moulded cornice. Front right room has moulded cornice and corner fireplace in moulded surround with cornice shelf. Rear right room has moulded cornice and plain fireplace. A variety of panelled and plank doors, many in panelled reveals, survive throughout the house.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall rendered with flat stone coping. Garage of red-brown brick in Flemish bond with hipped tiled roof. The house was rectory first to the Church of St John del Pike (not included), later to Holy Trinity, Goodramgate (qv).

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 116). Listing NGR: SE6044752281

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 8 , occupies a secluded position at the corner of Chapter House Street and Ogleforth. It is two-storeyed with attics, built of brick, partly rendered, and has roofs covered with pantiles and plain tiles. It was originally the parsonage house of the parish of St. John del Pike, later united with Holy Trinity, Goodramgate (2), and continued in such use until sold in 1880. There are slight remains of late mediaeval timber framing internally, but the main part was rebuilt before 1736 by the Rev. William Knight (Drake, 570), rector of Holy Trinity since 1721. After that time, some of the earlier work clearly survived and a terrier of 1778 (YML, K2 M16) describes the house as 'brick built except for the kitchen and apartments over which are of wood and plaster'. The kitchen wing at the N.W. end was rebuilt in the early 19th century, and at about the same time some alterations were made to the 18th-century house.

The principal front, facing the garden to the N.E., is rendered and lined to simulate ashlar; it has a central canted bay window probably added in the early 19th century, platbands marking first and attic-floor levels, and parapet finished with a moulded coping. The roof is covered with plain tiles and gabled to each end. On the S.W. side is a large round-arched staircase window and on the adjacent return wall a 19th-century canted oriel window. The early 19th-century kitchen wing at the N.W. end is of stock brick and has a pantiled roof.

The surviving timber framing, in the N.W. part of the house beside the kitchen and only visible in the ground floor, consists of two posts, with associated beams and one curved brace; it indicates a range about 13 ft. wide. The Georgian house has a large entrance hall with a dining room to N.E. which was probably the parlour described in 1778 as having wainscotted walls; it was refitted in the early 19th century. The smaller room to S.E. has a corner fireplace with panelled overmantel flanked by fluted pilasters. The principal staircase, rising around an open well, has three turned balusters to each step and a ramped handrail. On the first-floor landing are original panelled doors and a coved ceiling with moulded cornice. The back staircase is of the early 19th century, with square balusters. The roof over the 18th-century part of the house is of modern construction. To S.E. is a mid 18th-century outbuilding, of one storey and lofts, built of brick with hipped, tiled roof; it is now a garage but formerly housed 'a back kitchen, turf chamber, necessary house, etc.' (Terrier of 1778).

Monument 91; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 116

NMR Information

Full description
(SE 60455228-O.S 1/2500, 1962)

1.
5343 CHAPTER HOUSE STREET (north-west side)

No 8 (Old Rectory House)

SE 6052 SW 13/130 14.6.54

II* GV

2.
Early C18 to earlier timber frame. Brick, partly rendered; 2-storeys plus attic; C19 canted oriel window; plain doorway. Principal front facing garden to north-east has a C19 canted and tiered bay window and bands between storeys; plain eaves pantiles and plain tiles. The interior retains some exposed timber framing and some good early C19 features.
(RCHM Vol V, Monument 91.)

Sources
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p47 City of York, June 1983

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060424 8 CHAPTER HOUSE STREET File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 2 2020 3:56PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.