See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II*
LBSUID 463040
Date assigned Monday, June 14, 1954
Date last amended


YORK SE6052SW CHAPTER HOUSE STREET 1112-1/13/160 (North West side) 14/06/54 No.8 Old Rectory House and attached wall and garage GV II* Rectory and attached wall and outbuilding; now house and garage. Early C18 incorporating fragments of earlier buildings; altered, extended and partly rebuilt in early C19; further alteration c1840. MATERIALS: render incised to resemble ashlar; stone coped gables and brick stacks to tiled roof at front, pantiled at rear; shaped gable against No.6 (qv) has brick coping; rendered parapet elsewhere has moulded stone coping. Orange-grey brick extension with pantile roof and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: street front: attached wall contains two doors of 6 raised and fielded panels in moulded surrounds, one beneath moulded cornice on grooved consoles. Inside is 2-storey house front of 2 bays at right angles. Front door is of 3 moulded panels backed with planks: to right, 9-pane fixed window: above is canted bay with 4:12:4-pane sash windows. Bay to right has round-arched radial-glazed staircase window. Inverted bell rainwater head in angle between bays. Garden front: 2 storeys and attics; 3 bays: full-height 4-light canted bay window in centre. All windows are 12-pane sashes. Raised first floor and eaves bands beneath plain parapet partly masking two small-pane flat-topped dormers in attic. Garage is of 1 storey with loft, entered through garage door at right end of wall, and with brick dentilled eaves cornice. INTERIOR: in cellar beneath main staircase and in front left room on ground floor fragments of timber-framing are visible. Entrance hall has moulded dado rail and cornice. Front right room has moulded cornice; corner fireplace c1700 with sunk-panel jambs and shaped cornice shelf; raised overmantel panel between fluted pilasters with moulded cornice. Front centre room has reeded doorcase with angle roundels, raised and fielded dado panelling and reeded cornice. Secondary staircase rises to attics, having close string, stick balusters, turned newel and ramped-up handrail. Main staircase rises around open well to first floor, with close string, turned balusters and moulded ramped-up handrail to square newels. First floor: landing has coved ceiling with moulded cornice. Front right room has moulded cornice and corner fireplace in moulded surround with cornice shelf. Rear right room has moulded cornice and plain fireplace. A variety of panelled and plank doors, many in panelled reveals, survive throughout the house. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall rendered with flat stone coping. Garage of red-brown brick in Flemish bond with hipped tiled roof. The house was rectory first to the Church of St John del Pike (not included), later to Holy Trinity, Goodramgate (qv). (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 116). Listing NGR: SE6044752281

External Links (0)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 60446 52280 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2007 3:00PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.