Building record MYO1591 - The Purey Cust
|Grid reference||SE 6022 5227 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
New Residence of the Canons Residentiary of York Minster; now part of Purey Cust Hospital. 1824-25. By RH Sharp for the Dean and Chapter. Magnesian limestone ashlar with stone coped slate roof and ashlar stacks. Gothick style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics on moulded stone plinth and with 2-stage setback buttresses; 3 gabled bays. Flight of stone steps leads to glazed and flush panel door with 4-centred head in casement-moulded square-headed surround with carved spandrels, flanked by dwarf buttresses. Flanking windows are of 3 ogee-arched lights with mouchette tracery in the square head. All ground floor openings have tall return stopped hoodmoulds. On first floor, centre window is semicircular oriel with three 8-pane sashes, deep frieze and moulded cornice: outer windows correspond with those on ground floor: all have moulded sill string. Attic windows are square-headed with hoodmoulds, centre one of 3 altered lights, outer ones each 1 light with 4-centred head; moulded string. Right return: 2 storeys and attic; 5 bays, centre bay gabled: at left of ground floor, 1-storey flat roofed porch projects forward. Porch has former door altered to tall window of 2 mullioned and transomed pointed lights, and moulded parapet. To right of porch is half-glazed door with tall overlight. Windows are generally paired lancets, those on ground floor with transoms, with square heads and hoodmoulds, those on first floor with moulded sillstring. Over porch on first floor is 2-leaf glazed and panelled door. C20 2-light window in attic gable. Moulded string to attic.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129). Listing NGR: SE6022452273
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Purey-Cust Chambers were built, as the New Residence, in 1824–5 to designs by R. H. Sharp to provide accommodation for the Canons Residentiary who had previously occupied Monument (277). In September 1823 the Chapter had recommended that at some future date a new Residence house and Deanery house be built on the N. side of the Minster, and in July 1824 it was resolved that the former be built at a cost not exceeding £3,600 (YML, H10(1), ff. 230–1; A Guide to the City of York (after July 1838), published by J. Glaisby). Unsigned designs for the New Residence almost exactly as built, probably from the office of Atkinson and Sharp, are preserved in the Minster Library, together with a series of alternative schemes by Watson and Pritchett (M/P Y/R 1128, 1–3, 5, 8, 9).
The building was described in 1838 (Glaisby, op. cit., 97) as being in 'a plain style of Tudor architecture' and has moulded labels to the windows, decorative buttresses and pointed gables and, to the main S.E. elevation, a door with four-centred arched head and a first-floor oriel window. Inside, the doorways have four-centred arched heads (Plate 163), as do the fireplace openings; the staircase has foliated terminations to the square newels and columns with shaped bases which serve as balusters
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129. Monument 154
No further description provided.
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 10 2020 3:28PM