Building record MYO1590 - York Minster Library, Dean's Park
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6030 5231 (22m by 19m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- CHAPEL (c1230, Medieval - 1210 AD to 1250 AD)
- ARCHBISHOPS PALACE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1540 AD)
- LIBRARY (1806-1811, Early C19 - 1806 AD to 1811 AD)
- LIBRARY (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- LIBRARY (Post Medieval to C20 - 1540 AD to 1901 AD)
- CLOISTER (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1540 AD)
Chapel of archiepiscopal palace, now York Minster Library. Chapel c1230; restored, extended and converted to library 1806-11; extended further in C20. C19 restoration and extension by William Shout, Mastermason to the Minster. Stained glass c1810 by Jacob Wright of Leeds. Magnesian limestone ashlar with slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: chapel of 4 unequal bays; extension at right angles to north-west corner; the whole on moulded or chamfered plinth, chapel buttressed by gableted buttresses with spurs and encircled by moulded sillstring. West end has 3-bay extension of 2 low storeys to left. Entrance in extension is shouldered doorway with nail-studded plank door. Ground floor windows are single shouldered lights with decorative leading: those on first floor, round headed, of paired trefoiled lights with octagonal shafts and continuous hoodmould arched over windows. Openings are splayed and those on first floor have moulded sillstring.
Moulded eaves string to plain parapet. East end of chapel has blocked window of 5 stepped lancets. West end: nail studded and panelled double doors in 2-centred arch of two orders: arch and shaft bases and capitals are moulded and ornamented with bands of dogtooth. West window is of 5 stepped lancets beneath semicircular moulded arch on slender shafts with rings, decorated with dogtooth as doorway. South side: two left bays on ground floor have windows of 2 tiers of paired trefoiled lights with flattened heads, in square-headed splayed openings. Right end bays blind. On upper floor, 2 centre bays have windows of 3 stepped lancets beneath semicircular moulded arches. Left end bay has paired lancet window, right end bay single blind lancet, both in 2-centred moulded arches. Moulded eaves string beneath plain parapet.
INTERIOR: not inspected. Stained glass in west window depicts heraldic arms of two archbishops, the Dean and members of Chapter at the time of building's restoration as Library.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 132; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 109).
Listing NGR: SE6029852319
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 30 2020 4:59PM