Building record MYO1587 - Theatre House
|Grid reference||SE 6013 5211 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
House, incorporating St Leonard's Hospital (Museum Street, qv) remains in cellar; now theatre offices. Late C18 rebuild of earlier house with C13 masonry in the basement.
MATERIALS: house fronted in pink-grey brick in Flemish bond with red brick dressings; right return of coursed magnesian limestone on ground and first floors, second floor of varied brick in random and stretcher bonds; left side of orange-brown brick in random bond; timber cornice to hipped tiled roof with brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-bay front. Ground floor altered to provide rear passage entrance with flat lintel supported at left side on cast-iron column: house entrance is C20 door in right wall of passage: further right is 16-pane fixed window. On first and second floors, windows are 12-pane sashes with stone sills, some painted, some renewed: all have brick quoined openings and flat arches of gauged brick. Moulded modillioned eaves cornice returned at each end.
INTERIOR: in cellar at rear are remains of one barrel vaulted bay in a chamfered round arch with vestiges of one capital: vault closed by later wall containing blocked window. Ground floor: reset late C18 staircase survives to first floor with close string, slender turned balusters and moulded ramped-up handrail. First floor: early C18 staircase to second floor has close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and moulded flat handrail. Front room has pair of early C18 cupboard doors of raised and fielded panelling in keyed round-arched architrave. In back room is plain fireplace with hob-grate. Various panelled doors and fragments of panelling survive on first floor. The house was built to provide accommodation for the Manager and Lessee of The Theatre Royal, St Leonard's Place (qv) and may have been occupied by Tate Wilkinson before 1803.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 95; 103). Listing NGR: SE6013352114
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Attached to the S. side of the theatre is a three-storey house, formerly occupied by the manager and now used as theatre offices. It was built in the late 18th century, incorporating the remains of a 13th-century stone building which had formed part of St. Leonard's Hospital and had been altered c. 1700. The three-bay S. elevation, of common brick, has hung-sash windows with red brick dressings and flat arches, a timber eaves cornice, and a tiled, hipped roof. Inside, there is a late 18th-century staircase leading up to the first floor and, between first and second floors, a staircase of c. 1700 with bulbous balusters.
Monument 47; 'Other Public Buildings', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central (London, 1981), pp. 96-105.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060282 THEATRE ROYAL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
BF061080 THE THEATRE ROYAL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 29 2020 7:24PM