Building record MYO1469 - 30 and 32 Goodramgate and 12 College Street


30, 32 Goodramgate and 12 College Street, originally all timber-framed, represent some of those mentioned in the compotus roll of Nicholas de Newark of between 1383 and 1399. Include late 16th or early 17th century timber framed gate house to The Minster Precinct abutting 32 Goodramgate


Grid reference Centred SE 6047 5217 (20m by 25m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (12)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Nos.89 AND 89A GOODRAMGATE. Includes: Nos.11 AND 12 COLLEGE STREET. Houses and Minster gatehouse; now shops, cafe and flats. C14 houses with gatehouse rebuilt c1600 and 1903; alterations of C16, C18 and early C19; later C19 extensions; remodelled in C20, with C20 shopfronts.

MATERIALS: original building timber-framed; later alterations and extensions in brick in various forms, painted at front. Roofs are tiled at front, pantiled at rear, with brick stacks; parallel ranges to right, originally gabled to street, now half-hipped, of pantile.

EXTERIOR: Goodramgate front: 2 storeys, 4 bays, left of centre bay projecting; 2-storey 1-bay gatehouse set back to left. Left of centre door of 6 raised and fielded panels in fluted borders beneath radial-glazed fanlight, in fluted architrave with angle roundels. To right, No.30 has shopfront framed in sunk-panel pilasters with cornice, and three-quarter glazed and panelled door recessed between arcaded windows over sunk-panelled risers.

Shopfront to No.32 framed in sunk-panel pilasters with roundels at the heads, plain fascia and moulded cornice; three-quarter glazed and panelled door beneath overlight of two round-arched lights in splayed corner, between round-arcaded shop windows on colonnettes with imposts and sunk panelled risers. On first floor, four 12-pane sashes. Dentil cornice, between grooved corbels, returned to left.

Gatehouse is open on ground floor and has one 2x12-pane horizontal sliding sash window and exposed studding on first floor.

College Street front: 2-storey, 2-bay gabled wall to gatehouse, with 1-bay extension to left, in front of 2-storey 4-window range. Gatehouse raised on massive corner post with enlarged head and braced posts has exposed studding on first floor. Gabled left return has 3-light mullion window with square lattice glazing on first floor, and exposed studding and roof truss with cambered tie beam and collar.

Subsidiary entrance to No.32 Goodramgate is glazed and panelled door to right of small-paned square bay window on brackets, beneath continuous fascia and moulded cornice. Further left is door of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath divided overlight.

No.12 College Street has shopfront with 6-panel door and divided overlight to left of single-pane shop window with transom light, beneath plain fascia and cornice.

INTERIOR: ground floor. No.30 Goodramgate: cantilevered staircase to first floor has treadends ornamented with triglyphs and roundels, balustrade of angular cast-iron panels and serpentine handrail, wreathed at foot on shaped curtail step: frieze of triglyphs and roundels to stairwell: front doorcase has sunk panel jambs and moulded round-arched head. Similar doorcase to rear of cafe. Both Nos 30 and 32 have fireplaces with elliptical arches of brick, chamfered to No.30. In No.12 College Street, C19 display cabinets with glass doors survive.

First floor, No.30 Goodramgate: portions of fluted plaster cornice survive at head of stairs: back room retains plain stone fireplace with hob grate. In No.32 Goodramgate: timber-frame survives in original external walls, and studded partitions between front and back rooms, gatehouse chamber and extension; gatehouse chamber has exposed chamfer-stopped beams in gatehouse chamber. Door between front and back rooms is 6 panelled. Some posts survive in College Street range.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 143). Listing NGR: SE6046952182

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Nos. 30, 32, and Nos. 11, 12 College Street, of two storeys and originally all timber-framed, represent some of those mentioned in the compotus roll of Nicholas de Newark of between 1383 and 1399, which deals with repairs to houses near the door of the close opposite the Bedern (F. Harrison (1952), 157). Though such framing as remains visible has been much modified, parts dating from the 14th century survive. Part was known as the Angel Inn in 1752 (YML, Subchanters Book 175285, 4).
The buildings comprise, at the N.E. end, two ranges at right angles to Goodramgate, the gables of which have been hipped back, a three-bay range parallel to Goodramgate, a jettied range facing College Street, built in the first half of the 14th century, and a small single-bay structure, of late 16th or early 17th-century date, spanning the passageway to the Minster Close. The first two ranges mentioned (No. 30) were added to and refitted in the early 19th century. The N.E. part of the range roofed parallel to Goodramgate had a first-floor projection added to the front in the 18th century and was refitted internally in the early 19th century with a staircase with cast-iron geometrically patterned balustrade and with paterae on the cheek-pieces. To S.W. of this part, a fireplace of 16th or 17th-century date was added.

Only a small part of the jetty of the 14th-century range survives beneath the later 'gatehouse'. The ends of the projecting first-floor joists have roll mouldings and small pellet decoration; the wall above has a post with a short downward brace. The range has been partly rebuilt in brick and in the 19th century a building, probably used for some industrial purpose, was added at right angles to it. The gatehouse structure stands on a large corner-post and incorporates much reused timber. Its roof truss has a straight tie-beam, a collar supporting clasped purlins, and a secondary collar very high up. The roofs of the rest of the complex were not accessible, but it is possible that the S.W. of the two ranges at the N.E. end has a roof of early form.

Monument 215; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 143

NMR Information

Full description
(SE 60475216 - Sited from HHR map)

Gatehouse to the Precincts (between College Street and Goodramgate)
SE 6052 SW 27/176

2. Late C16 or early C17. Timber frame incorporating much re-used material of one single-storeyed bay adjoining side of No 32 Goodramgate raised above street on corner posts with gabled end to south-east. (RCHM Vol. V, Monument 215.)

1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. City of York, June 1983

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060624 30-32 GOODRAMGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 6 2020 1:29PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.