Building record MYO1340 - INDICATOR BOARD AND CLOCK TOWER AT YORK RACECOURSE
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 5954 4971 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Indicator board and clock tower. 1922. Designed by Walter Brierley. Steel framed, wooden and re-constituted stone with a hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. Square plan. Ground floor has square corner piers and between on 3 sides 2 Doric columns in antis, all of re-constituted stone. First and second floors are divided into 3 panels on each of the 3 front faces, these panels are each divided into 6 spaces for name boards. In the centre of each of these faces is a seventh panel in a central square dormer with a flat lead roof. The main front has attached frames to each side for further name boards. The square hipped roof is topped by a square lantern with a circular clock face to each side, and a moulded square lead dome topped with a finial. The 7 day clock was made by GJF Newey of York and installed in 1923. INTERIOR: retains all its original structure and fittings.
Listing NGR: SE5954849712
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The Clock Tower was designed by Brierley & Rutherford in 1922,
along with the linear single-storey wings that run north-south
under the tower. The West Enclosure buildings opened together in
May 1923. The two wings are constructed of stone with simple
classical detailing along the top and corners of the building. The
building was constructed facing west and today houses toilets and
areas for bars and has timber windows, doors and hatches along
the west elevation to facilitate this. Much of the space is currently
vacant or is used for storage due to its location within the flood
plain. The building is banked-up under an earthwork embankment
to the east to provide a sloped viewing platform. Stone steps are
located along the building with metal handrails that provide access
from the bars and toilets onto the embanked viewing area. Modern
metal railings in galvanised steel have been added to protect
viewers on the embankment. The central staircase runs under the
Clock Tower building with two further staircases located in each
wing and one at each end.
Along the west elevation there are toilet blocks located at the end
of each wing. The windows to the toilet blocks have deep stone
surrounds and are timber framed with eight lights. Some have been
infilled later with concrete blockwork and there are several
replacements. The toilet doors are timber framed and constructed
of timber panelling with some detailed iron door handles remaining.
There are timber hatches marking the location of totalisers which
are now used either as bars or storage areas. Some appear to have
been blocked more recently. To the centre of the wings there is a
steel canopy added during the conversion in 1957. The columns
supporting this canopy appear to date to the 1950s but the metal
sheet covering is likely to be replacement. This covers the area now
used in part for bars. There are timber framed hatches and doors
along the length and during the off season the area is used for
storage of bins.
(Heritage Statement 2017)
Purcell Miller Triton LLP, 2017, YORK RACECOURSE CLOCK TOWER AND INDICATOR BOARD HER ST (Unpublished document). SYO2016.
- --- SYO2016 Unpublished document: Purcell Miller Triton LLP. 2017. YORK RACECOURSE CLOCK TOWER AND INDICATOR BOARD HER ST.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 24 2017 1:23PM