Building record MYO1325 - CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
|Grid reference||SE 6120 5125 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Parish church. 1881-93. By JG Hall of Canterbury. MATERIALS: Kentish rag with ashlar dressings and moulded and chamfered plinths; stone coped slate roofs, those to nave and transepts steeply pitched, pent to aisles, vestry and south chapel; plain stone eaves parapets, pierced and arcaded over the apse, with stone waterspouts; cast-iron guttering and integral rainwater goods. Stone gable crosses to transepts and west end; east end has metal wheel cross. Cast-iron guttering and integral rainwater goods. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: 2-bay apsidal chancel, north vestry and south chapel; north and south transepts; 5-bay aisled nave with south door; north west tower with north doors: clerestory to all parts except tower. EXTERIOR: buttressed east end has single tall lancet beneath corbel stopped hoodmould to each face. Moulded sillstring continues beneath lancets in angle buttressed east ends of vestry and chapel. Vestry bays separated by 2-stage buttress: to east is 2-centred arched doorway of 3 orders with continuous hollow chamfers on each side of attached shafts with bulbous capitals; above is short lancet: to west are paired lancets. Above vestry, chancel has two clerestory lights of paired lancets. On south side, chapel has paired lancets in south wall: above are two clerestory lights to chancel as on north side. Transepts are angle buttressed and have tall gable end windows of 3 stepped lancets recessed in 2-centred arches on detached filleted shafts with bulbous capitals: hoodmould has foliate stops. Dropped sillstring is moulded and filleted and returned around buttresses. To the east, both transepts have 2-centred hollow chamfer stopped doorways and two pairs of clerestory lancets. North and south aisles articulated by 2-stage buttresses between tripled lancets except in westernmost bays where lancets are paired. South door in double hollow chamfered 2-centred arch flanked by narrow lancets and with paired short lancets above. Clerestory lights are single lancets with hoodmoulds. Angle buttressed west end has double doors in 2-centred arch. West window is treated as transept windows with filleted and moulded sillstring and foliated stops. 4-stage tower is buttressed to full height and has string courses between stages. To north are two doorways separated by 3-stage gabled buttress. Both doorways are 2-centred arches of 3 orders as for vestry door, with filleted hoodmould with
block stops. Above are two pairs of tall lancets with attached centre shafts with bulbous capitals and shaft rings. Filleted sillstring returns around buttresses. West face has similar second stage windows separated by buttress. Each belfry face has opening of paired louvred lancets in hollow chamfered 2-centred arches springing from piers with moulded imposts. Moulded corbel cornice beneath plain parapet and octagonal broach spire. At the base of the north and south faces of the spire are clock faces in moulded stone panels with ogee heads. All doors are of nail studded boarding and have good wrought-ironwork. Unless indicated otherwise, all paired and tripled lancet windows have arcaded hoodmoulds with block stops; and all openings are double hollow chamfered. INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SE6120351258
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Contains a disused bell dating to 1739 by Edward II Seller. All modern bells are by John Taylor & Co. And date to 1947 (F#, E, B, A), 1988 (C#) and 3 date to 1999 (A, G#, D) CARE No. 43/194
VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION OS 1:500 1891
Related object BF113978 Saint Lawrence's Church, York
Student, 2015, The old St Lawrence's Church, Lawrence St (Unpublished document). SYO1651.
- --- SYO1651 Unpublished document: Student. 2015. The old St Lawrence's Church, Lawrence St.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2019 10:49AM