Building record MYO1317 - 17-19 Lawrence Street, The Waggon And Horses

Summary

House built in 1773, now known as 17 Lawrence Street. The house was extended circa 1800 and altered in the late 19th century when the extension, number 19, became The Waggon and Horses public house.

Location

Grid reference SE 6118 5138 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

House, now house and public house. 1773, with early C19 additions and late C19 alterations. Brick in Flemish bond, partly rendered and painted. Concrete tile roof.

EXTERIOR: the original house, at the left, is of 2 storeys plus attic and 3 bays. The 2 left-hand bays are of exposed brick and have sashed windows with segmental arches, and a brick storey band. The central bay has a doorcase with fluted pilasters, console brackets, a dentilled open pediment, and a fanlight. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels. The right-hand bay is covered by painted render and has a sashed window on the 1st floor and a horizontal sash with glazing bars to the attic dormer. On the ground floor there is a public house frontage which extends to the right for the full width of the lower right-hand addition. It has a timber fascia and cornice with end pilasters as well as pilasters flanking the doorway, and is glazed with etched glass above timber panelling. On the 1st floor the addition has a sashed window. At the far right there is a further addition, with a carriage entrance on the ground floor and a 1st floor wall of exposed brick supported by a timber lintel, with a pair of sashed windows. 2 chimneys on ridge of original house, and 3rd chimney on gable of 1st addition.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 81). Listing NGR: SE6118251389

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 17, has on a rainwater head the initials and date W.W. 1773, presumably the date of construction. The house is of two storeys and built on a normal square plan with front and back rooms each side of the entrance hall. To the E. is a slightly lower building of c. 1800 which, together with the E. side of the original house, now forms The Waggon and Horses public house. The original house has a timber door-case with fluted pilasters and open pediment.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975. Monument 212.

NMR Information

Source
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF060736 THE WAGGON AND HORSES, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1975. RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 23 2020 5:03PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.