SE6151SW LAWRENCE STREET 1112-1/23/531 (North side) 24/06/83 Nos.17 AND 19 The Waggon and Horses Public House (No.19)
House, now house and public house. 1773, with early C19 additions and late C19 alterations. Brick in Flemish bond, partly rendered and painted. Concrete tile roof. EXTERIOR: the original house, at the left, is of 2 storeys plus attic and 3 bays. The 2 left-hand bays are of exposed brick and have sashed windows with segmental arches, and a brick storey band. The central bay has a doorcase with fluted pilasters, console brackets, a dentilled open pediment, and a fanlight. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels. The right-hand bay is covered by painted render and has a sashed window on the 1st floor and a horizontal sash with glazing bars to the attic dormer. On the ground floor there is a public house frontage which extends to the right for the full width of the lower right-hand addition. It has a timber fascia and cornice with end pilasters as well as pilasters flanking the doorway, and is glazed with etched glass above timber panelling. On the 1st floor the addition has a sashed window. At the far right there is a further addition, with a carriage entrance on the ground floor and a 1st floor wall of exposed brick supported by a timber lintel, with a pair of sashed windows. 2 chimneys on ridge of original house, and 3rd chimney on gable of 1st addition. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 81).
Listing NGR: SE6118251389
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.