Building record MYO1313 - 10-14 Lendal


A pair of houses built between 1712 and 1716 and were altered in the late 18th century. In the 19th century the buildings were converted to shops and offices and in 1959 number 12 became a bank.


Grid reference Centred SE 6008 5196 (27m by 23m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (8)

Full Description

Alternatively known as: Nos.11, 13 AND 15 LENDEL. Pair of houses; now bank, shop and offices: carriage gates attached to rear of carriageway beneath No.14. Houses early C18; converted to offices and shops c1880; No.12 converted to bank 1959. Carriage gates c1890.

MATERIALS: orange-brown brick in Flemish bond; Nos 10-12 have ashlar doorcase and porch in ground floor of reconstituted stone. Front eaves cornice of timber, at rear plain brick parapet with stone coping: double span roof, tiled at front, slate at rear, with truncated brick stacks, one rendered. One gable to rear range is shaped. 2 gabled dormers with 4-pane sash windows to Nos 10-12. Wrought-iron gates.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 8-window front. To right of centre, Tuscan porch with fluted frieze and angle roundels has double doors of raised panels bordered in flutes and paterae beneath radial fanlight, in round-arched architrave with imposts. Ground floor on either side is pilastered with plain fascia and moulded cornice; to left of porch, margin-glazed windows are set in square-headed recesses; to right, entrance to No.10 is door of 6 beaded panels with patterned overlight in similar recess. Left end of No.14 altered to provide flat-arched carriageway flanked by Tuscan columns and antae. Shopfront has canted plate glass window with blocked clerestory retaining arched glazing bar, between recessed doorways, one altered to window, one with glazed and panelled door, both beneath tall small-pane overlights.

First floor windows are 4-pane sashes to Nos 10-12, 12-pane sashes to No.14; all second floor windows are squat 4-pane sashes. All windows have segmental arches of brick and painted stone sills. Raised band to second floor. Dentil and modillion eaves cornice with rainwater head dated 1774 in centre, and fallpipe on ornate clamps embossed with blank cartouche in a Corinthian arch. Gates at rear of carriageway are of slim railings shaped into bands of Art Nouveau motifs. Rear: 3 storeys and basement; 7 windows. Basement windows to No.14 have 1-course segmental brick arches and brick sills. Upper floor windows are segment-arched 4-pane sashes in altered openings, with tall round-headed 8-pane sash at left end of first floor. Raised brick bands to first and second floors.

INTERIOR: of No.10. Ground floor: stairhall has dentil cornice: open-string staircase to first floor, with sunk-panel treadends, turned balusters and serpentine moulded handrail, swept at foot onto turned newel on shaped curtail step: stairwell lined with raised and fielded dado panelling terminating in paired fluted pilasters. Staircase window has splayed opening with seat.

First floor: landing has plaster ceiling with sloped cornice enriched with acanthus and paterae, and bolection moulded panels framing oval centre panel: doorcase reveals of raised and fielded panelling. Door to front room is of 6 panels bordered in flutes and roundels. Front room door and window architraves are fluted, with angle paterae or roundels; doorcase has shell and festoon frieze, and moulded cornice; windows have panelled shutters: plaster ceiling has acanthus leaf cornice, and foliate centre panel surrounded by looped wheatear trails and medallions with masks: shelf on shaped brackets encircles room. Rear room has beaded panel door, moulded dado rail, and fireplace in bolection-moulded surround with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice shelf: early C18 door of raised and fielded panels leads to closet in corner with front room.

Replacement staircase to second floor has open string, shaped treadends, turned balusters and serpentine handrail wreathed at foot around newel on shaped curtail step. Second floor: front and back rooms to left have ceilings coffered with moulded spine beams with plaster leaf moulding in each corner; front room has plain fireplace; rear room fireplace similar to that in room below. In rear room, 3-panel door on plank backing and H-hinge leads to fireside closet. 3-panel door on landing leads to attic. Attic has lime ash floors. Interior of No.12: RCHM record "moulded jambs of a C15 doorway... presumably from the Augustinian Friary".

Interior of No 14 (Robson & Cooper) retains most of its original features including some panelling and a fireplace to rear ground floor, plus original shutters to rear windows. A large continuous string staircase with turned balusters and a moulded hand rail to the first floor. First floor has single rear room with complete early C18 panelling, fireplace, shutters, doors and plaster coving. Landing has fine set of round headed doorways with moulded surround and keystones, plus linking ramped dado panelling. Main front room has plaster coving, shutters and single round headed doorway in moulded surround. Small front room has original corner fireplace, dado panelling and original panelled doors. Fine original staircase to second floor with 2 turned balusters per tread, ramped and moulded handrail and matching dado panelling, plus round headed doors. Second floor rooms have original doors, corner fireplaces and coving. Small stair to attic.

HISTORICAL NOTE: c1870, No.10 became the office of JB and W Atkinson, direct successors of the architect John Carr of York. James Demaine became a partner in 1877, Walter Brierley in 1886 on the death of W Atkinson. The successors of this partnership are still in occupation at these premises, at the time of survey.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 155).

Listing NGR: SE6007051966

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Built at the same time as the neighbouring property 10-12; No. 14 Lendal is a substantial early Georgian townhouse built c.1714 for Alderman Henry Baines, who was Lord Mayor of the City in 1717 and again in 1732.The properties were originally constructed with basements, and accommodation over three floors with attic spaces above. No. 14 was given the name ‘Fitzwilliam House’ during this period.

Information on construction, layout and phasing is given in the Heritage Statement.

Houses, Nos. 10, 12, 14, were built c. 1714 as a substantial pair, of three storeys with basements and attics, by Henry Baines, alderman (Lord Mayor 1717, 1732) (see No. 8), and are shown in a drawing by Samuel Buck before 1725, and also in the margin of John Cossins' map of c. 1727. Later, No. 14 was occupied by John Goodricke, the astronomer, who died in 1786. The building was converted to shop and business premises in the 19th century, and further conversion of the lower part of the N. W. house (No. 12) from a shop to bank premises was carried out in 1959. The offices above (No. 10) have been occupied since c. 1880 by the successors in practice to the 18th-century architect John Carr, now Messrs. Brierley, Leckenby, Keighley and Groom. During the 1959 work in the basement of No. 12, moulded stone jambs of a 15th-century doorway were uncovered, probably fragmentary remains of the Augustinian Friary (21) which stood on the site.

The houses are each of four bays. A pedimented stone porch with Tuscan columns dating from the late 18th century replaces the original entrance to the Baines' house. Above the ground floor the walling is of fine Flemish-bonded brickwork with deep plat-bands at each floor, surmounted by a dentilled eaves cornice, a replacement probably dated to 1774 by a lead rainwater head. The square-section lead fall-pipe, secured by brackets decorated with a cartouche between two columns, is of early 18th-century date (Plate 181). All windows to the upper storeys have segmental arches of rubbed bricks; those to the first floor were widened slightly in the 19th century. The back elevation was originally of eight bays but the W. corner has been recessed and some modern single-storeyed additions adjoin the N.W. house. The basement is above ground. There are plat-bands of oversailing courses at each floor level and all the segmental arched openings have red brick dressings: the deep brick parapet has a moulded stone capping. Both end elevations have curved gables rising above adjoining buildings.

Monument 254; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 155

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF060749 10-14 LENDAL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

YAT, 2016, 14 Lendal (Unpublished document). SYO1866.

2017, 14 Lendal HER ST (Unpublished document). SYO2017.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • --- Unpublished document: YAT. 2016. 14 Lendal.
  • --- Unpublished document: 2017. 14 Lendal HER ST.
  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Jun 19 2020 2:54PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.