Building record MYO1265 - 76 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6042 5199 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Built C15, Medieval - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- HOUSE (C16 addition, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- SHOP (Early C19 alterations, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- SHOP (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- HOUSE (C17 alterations, C17 - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- SHOP (Renovated 1971, C20 - 1971 AD to 1971 AD)
Formerly known as: No.58 LOW PETERGATE. House, now shop. C15 front range with C16 rear wing; early C19 alteration and shopfront with altered glazing; C20 renovation. Both ranges timber-framed, with front range stuccoed; timber shopfront and boxed cornice; slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-bay front, with jettied first and second floors. First floor jetty shaped as round arch at left end, to house heavy round-headed 8-panel passage door. Shopfront has shallow 5-light canted bay window with moulded cornice, to left of glazed and panelled door. First and second floors windows are Yorkshire sashes, 2x6-paned except for one on first floor which has 9- and 15-pane lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 192-3). Listing NGR: SE6042751991
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 76, consists of two timber framd ranges, each of two bays; one at the front, of three storeys buuilt p[arallel to the street, is probably of the 15th century, and one behind, at right angles, of two storeys, probably of late 16th century. The front range has the upper floors jettied to the street, and a carriageway has been cut through the N. end. Little of the original framing remains, but there is enough in the front wall to show that there were substantail braces from sills to main posts, which were crossed by braces to the stud in the middle of each bay. The back range was built against a 16th-century chimney added to the front range. Little of the framing is visible, but one wall retains original studs and bracesfrom posts to wall-plate. One roof truss remains with kerb-principals and collar-beam, carrying side-purlins. The building was renovated in 1971.
Monument 350: 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 192. London: RCHME
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061043 76 LOW PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2020 2:12PM