Building record MYO1255 - 61-63 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6035 5205 (17m by 18m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Formerly known as: No.41 LOW PETERGATE. One house of a pair; now shop and offices. c1746 with C20 alteration. For Thomas Marfitt. Front of buff-pink brick in Flemish bond, rear of orange brick in English garden-wall bond; timber cornice; slate roof, hipped at rear, with brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 4-storey 4-window front. C20 shopfront with shallow canted bay windows and dentilled cornice continued from No.59 (not included) which contains shop door. Windows on first floor are unequal 15-pane sashes, on second floor 12-pane sashes, on third floor 2-light casements, all with renewed sills and flat arches of orange gauged brick. Raised brick bands to second and third floors. Heavy modillioned cornice with moulded rainwater head, decorated with winged cherub head and initialled TM.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records 2 contemporary staircases.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 194). Listing NGR: SE6035252050
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Houses, Nos. 59-63 (odd), two, of four storeys with modern shops on the ground floor, were built shortly after January 1746, when the property was owned by Thomas Marfitt (YCA, BC). In 1766 the property passed to his nephew, also called Thomas, who was a glass dealer.
The two houses, forming one block seven bays wide, occupied three and four bays respectively. The front, at ground floor, has been entirely replaced by modern shop windows. The walling above is of common brick with red dressings and projecting bands between the storeys. At the eaves is a heavy timber cornice with modillions, and a rainwater head with the initials TM. The windows have hung sashes under flat arches of guaged brick, the top windows being shorter than those below. The sills of those in No. 63 have been lowered and , on the top floor, the hung sashes have been replaced by casemants. The side of No. 59, facing onto Grape Lane, is continued by a small back wing. The string-courses are carried on from the front, but the eaves cornice is not.
The interior is plainly fitted, with ceiling cornices to the principal rooms; staircases have open strings up to the second floor and close strings above. No. 59 demolished in 1963.
Monument 358. 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 194. London: RCHME
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061031 59-63 LOW PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 1:16PM