Building record MYO1248 - 97 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6041 5197 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Built pre 1699, Mid C17 - 1634 AD to 1666 AD)
- HOUSE (Built early C18, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1700 AD to 1732 AD)
- HOUSE (C19 alterations, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHOP (1821 change of use, Early C19 - 1821 AD to 1821 AD)
- RESTAURANT (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Formerly known as: No.5 TONGS COURT. House, now restaurant. Early C18 with earlier origins; extensively altered in C19, and further alteration and extension in C20; altered C19 shopfront.
MATERIALS: orange brick, in Flemish bond at front, stretcher bond at rear; timber modillion cornice; brick stacks and gabled dormer with 2x4-pane casement window to pantile roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 2-window front. Shopfront has glazed and panelled double doors on each side of 2-light shop window, beneath moulded cornice on elongated console brackets. First and second floor windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick. Rear: 3 storeys and attic; 2 windows. Ground floor obscured by C20 extension. First and second floor windows are 4-pane sashes with flat arches of soldier bricks.
INTERIOR: extensive fragments of timber-framing are visible in ground and second floor partition walls in rear part. Ground floor: in left rear room, brick fireplace with timber lintel. First floor: in front room, coved plaster ceiling cornice survives. Second floor: original staircase survives to attic, with moulded close string, slender turned balusters, square newels with attached half balusters, and moulded handrail.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 197-9). Listing NGR: SE6041351977
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 97, of two bays and three storeyed with cellars and dormered attics, was built in the early 18th century; it has been considerably altered and most of the original fittings have been removed, with the exception of the unusual staircase and some doorways in the attics. It has a simple plan with a room at the front and one at the back, both with a corner fireplace, with a staircase rising parallel tio the street between them. The ground floor was converted to a shop in 1821 (YCA, Acc. 1).
The front, of brick, has been heightened by several courses and refenestrated, and a shop front inserted on the ground floor. The rear gable has been partly rebuilt, openings blocked and earlier windows replaced by late 19th-century hung-sash windows. Internally, the lower part of the staircase has been removed and the flights between first and second floors boxed in, but those from the second floor to the attic remain unaltered, having close strings and square newels with attached half-balusters. The balusters, of an unusual pattern with three distinct members between capital and base, are similar to those of c. 1705 in High Ousegate (Monument 234).
Monument 371 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 197. London: RCHME
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061052 97 LOW PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 22 2020 12:43PM