Building record MYO1245 - 89 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6039 5199 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
House, now restaurant. c1700 with early C19 extension, later C19 alteration and further alterations in C20.
MATERIALS: front of stuccoed brick with chamfered quoins and timber shopfront; rear of orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond; timber guttering on paired modillions; pantile roof, hipped at front, with tumbled brick gable at rear; brick stack. Extension range of red-brown brick in English garden-wall bond with tiled and pantiled roof and brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Shopfront has recessed entrance between plate glass windows. On first floor, 3-light canted oriel window with moulded cornice between 1-pane sash windows in eared architraves with sills. On second floor, similar windows flank a blank moulded plaster panel, originally for inn sign. Similar full-width moulded panel below second floor windows. Rear: ground floor obscured by later building. On first, second and attic floors original openings beneath 3-centred 1-course brick arches mostly blocked. 2-course raised brick bands to second floor and attic. Extension is 2-storeyed and has 12-pane sash window with tooled lintel on first floor. Wall to Nos 91-93 (qv) has one similar window with 1-course segmental brick arch, and 2-course raised brick band.
INTERIOR: first floor: subdivided front room fully lined with bolection moulded panelling. Quarter-turn staircase from first floor to attic has moulded close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and heavy moulded handrail. Rear room on second floor retains bolection-moulded doorway with 3-panel door on L-hinges; and original fireplace with moulded mantelshelf. Extension has cantilevered staircase with grooved stick balusters and serpentine moulded handrail wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step.
HISTORICAL NOTE: building was Baynes' Hotel between 1813 and 1826, Tomlinson's Hotel until 1839, Jackson's Hotel until 1852, The Grapes Inn until 1882 when it became known as the Londesbro Arms.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 196). Listing NGR: SE6038551987
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Londesbro Arms, p.h., No. 89, of three storeys with attics, was built in the late 17th century. Although much altered externally and on the ground floor, it retains on the upper floors one fully panelled room, the original staircase and some doorways. It was called Baynes' Hotel between 1813 and 1826, Tomliinson's Hotel until 1839, Jackson's Hotel until 1852, was then known as The Grapes Inn, and had received its present name by 1882.
The front elevation was drastically altered in the late 19th or early 20th century, but its original four-bay arrangement is recorded in an early photograph of Petergate. The brickwork is now stuccoed. The rear elevation, also of four bays, originally had windows set beneath three-centred arched heads typical of the period, but they are now mostly blocked or altered. Internally, the plan affords one main room at the front and one at the back, with the staircase and landing occupying the space between. The ground floor has been modernised and the original staircase to the first floor removed. The first floor front room is fully wainscotted in bolection-moulded panelling and has a bold bolection-moulded door architrave. The staircase, rising in three flights with quarter-landings to the second floor and to the attics, has a moulded close string, bulbous balusters and square newels with attached half-balusters. The doorway to the second-floor rear room has an architrave similar to that of the first-floor front room and an original door with three bolection-moulded panels and large L-hinges with ogee terminations.
Monument 368. 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 196. London: RCHME
Alternate Name (Former) Baynes Hotel
Alternate Name (Former) Jacksons Hotel
Alternate Name (Former) The Grapes Inn
Alternate Name (Former) The Londesbro Arms Public House
Alternate Name (Former) Tomlinsons Hotel
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061049 THE LONDESBRO ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 22 2020 11:19AM