SE6051NW LOW PETERGATE 1112-1/28/607 (South West side) 19/08/71 No.89 (Formerly Listed as: LOW PETERGATE No.89 Londesbro Public House)
House, now restaurant. c1700 with early C19 extension, later C19 alteration and further alterations in C20. MATERIALS: front of stuccoed brick with chamfered quoins and timber shopfront; rear of orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond; timber guttering on paired modillions; pantile roof, hipped at front, with tumbled brick gable at rear; brick stack. Extension range of red-brown brick in English garden-wall bond with tiled and pantiled roof and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Shopfront has recessed entrance between plate glass windows. On first floor, 3-light canted oriel window with moulded cornice between 1-pane sash windows in eared architraves with sills. On second floor, similar windows flank a blank moulded plaster panel, originally for inn sign. Similar full-width moulded panel below second floor windows. Rear: ground floor obscured by later building. On first, second and attic floors original openings beneath 3-centred 1-course brick arches mostly blocked. 2-course raised brick bands to second floor and attic. Extension is 2-storeyed and has 12-pane sash window with tooled lintel on first floor. Wall to Nos 91-93 (qv) has one similar window with 1-course segmental brick arch, and 2-course raised brick band. INTERIOR: first floor: subdivided front room fully lined with bolection moulded panelling. Quarter-turn staircase from first floor to attic has moulded close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and heavy moulded handrail. Rear room on second floor retains bolection-moulded doorway with 3-panel door on L-hinges; and original fireplace with moulded mantelshelf. Extension has cantilevered staircase with grooved stick balusters and serpentine moulded handrail wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step. HISTORICAL NOTE: building was Baynes' Hotel between 1813 and 1826, Tomlinson's Hotel until 1839, Jackson's Hotel until 1852, The Grapes Inn until 1882 when it became known as the Londesbro Arms. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 196).
Listing NGR: SE6038551987